Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude...I feel your pain, but it can get so much worse. It is a money pit. The size of the hole is all you have control over. But life is short and it’s better than a drug problem...

IMG_8862.jpg

Yes, that is a custom OceanSwipe 360 robot cleaning the tank. More later.

In the last six months;

AI lighting
New calcium reactor
Dual C02 scrubbers on protein skimmer
Bubble Magnus filter roller
ReefBot water testing robot
OseanSwipe 360 cleaning robot.

I’ve been busy. And am broke. Tank responding well to changes.
More later.

Hey everyone, it’s seemed like a million years since I’ve posted anything here,...sometimes life just gets in the way of fun !!
My aquarium is doing ok ,.. lots and lots of LPS but basically no SPS since last year.
My down fall came when my last powder blue tang ( #3 ) died after looking healthy and beautiful for 9 months ,..in fact the others lasted exactly 9 months too with the same case scenario,...I kinda lost motivation after #3 passed and the aquarium suffered for it.
Somehow, I’m going to figure this all out and I’ll try again and get one of these critters to prevail... I really don’t understand these creatures like I should but I will.
I know Greg’s got some swimming around like tadpoles in a kids pickle jar but it’s my nemesis and I’m going to prevail .
I hope everyone is healthy and doing the best they can during this pandemic,..it sucks but it is what it is .
I’m sure the aquariums prob take a back seat when it comes maintaining a household and jobs or even trying to keep toilet paper on hand .
I just wanted to touch base with everyone and wish them the best !!

Last edited:
Hey Dary, great to hear from you. Haven’t posted in forever either. Developed a serious algae bloom in my 180 that’s been up for years. Was baffling because I’d had no problems until this December. Tried everything. Massive water changes, reduced feeding (to the point I think I inadvertently starved my Blue Throat Trigger) lighting changed, harvesting by hand. Then one day I was doing something in the stand and noticed an ammonia odor. Apparently one of the cats was using the area between the stand and sump as a litter box. I thoroughly cleaned the area and stuck some baking soda under there and I’ve really gained ground. As far as I can tell the intake for the skimmer was pulling the ammonia vapor in just enough to feed the algae. It’s the only thing I can figure.

This stay at home order has helped my new hobby get out of control. I now have 20 tarantulas with number 21 on the way in a couple of weeks. [emoji16]

That is very interesting...never heard of ammonia odor doing such a thing...have to keep that in mind. But let us know when it's time to stage an intervention on the spiders.

It’s not a problem until I’m selling all my belongings to sustain the addiction. At that point I’ll go to AA (Arachnids Anonymous). [emoji16]

Sean... that’s weird cuz before I started this aquarium I prob had 30-40 tarantulas from all over the world .... Asia, India, Vietnam , Africa , South America etc ..... then one day I looked at everything and said what the “ heck” am I doing !! Now I’m into Alk , calcium and algae .. will it ever end ??? Lol

Well after years of faithful service one of my floodlites on my ATS finally burned out ., not quite knowing what to do I just let it run for a few weeks on cyclops mode with one light working ., needless to say my algae output sucked compared to before .
Then somewhere in or around the ats started seeping water .... sooooo I turned off the unit and disconnected it .., a thorough wash out in vinegar and re siliconed every seam or connection whether it needed it or not .
I found the model number of the floodlight and checked amazon with fingers crossed I found the floodlights !!! They were only something like $30 for a pair of em !!!
So once again harmony has returned to my tank with a super clean , non leaking and very brightly lighted tuff scrubber !

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to hear it was an easy fix Dary. Things going well in there? Any runs on chalice lately?

...nah ,... a year or so ago when I lost my last powder blue my tank went from pristine water to something south of the border ,.. I lost most of my sps including any chalices I had been growing ,...since then I’ve got a tank full of lps and mushrooms.
I keep toying with the idea of getting another powder blue and some monti’s etc but something always seems to be taking priorities over them.
I guess one of these days I’ll just press the button and get back on track again but until then I guess I’ll just blunder along :-/
Hope your setup is up and thriving .

...nah ,... a year or so ago when I lost my last powder blue my tank went from pristine water to something south of the border ,.. I lost most of my sps including any chalices I had been growing ,...since then I’ve got a tank full of lps and mushrooms.
I keep toying with the idea of getting another powder blue and some monti’s etc but something always seems to be taking priorities over them.
I guess one of these days I’ll just press the button and get back on track again but until then I guess I’ll just blunder along :-/
Hope your setup is up and thriving .

Glad to see you guys still kicking!
Everything is still thriving but haven’t been working much on the tank. Automated systems still plugging away. Bought a new RO water filter with a built in pressure pump. Wish I had bought one like it years ago. Puts out 10x the water.
Will post more later.

Well,...I finally pressed the button and ordered another powder blue tang (this species has been my nemesis over the years ) ,.. it’ll be here tomorrow,...I’ve got a small quarantine tank setup and running so with high anxiety and fingers crossed here we go again .

Well,...it’s hereeee,.... and acclimating as we speak ,...she’s a cutie for sure .
I wanted to get the smallest one I could under the theory that maybe the younger ones could adapt to the present conditions easier than one set in its ways ., I’m not sure if my logic is good or not but that’s what I’m going with.
I also got a couple of little banded shrimps to round out the order,...these little critters I’ll bop into to the main tank once they’ve been acclimated .

Well it’s been over a week of having the pbt in quarantine and things seemingly are going well,.... he’s been nibbling on some nori and has been picking away at some masstick too.
No signs of any disease or trauma yet,... I changed out all the filters on my main tank’s Rodi system yesterday along with all the filter media too.
All parameters are looking good, I’ll prob keep the powder blue in lock down for at least 2 weeks or maybe a little longer just to make sure of everything’s cool before I put him into the display tank.

Sounds great Dary. I straight love masstick. I just upgraded from the mix it yourself to the stuff that comes pre mixed into cubes that I just slam onto the side of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom