Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(y)
I need to do the same with my pumps/powerheads.
I ran vinegar solution through my main return pump and backflushed the chiller for about 4 hours the other day, big improvement in flow and chilling performance back to how it was when new. :)

(y)
I need to do the same with my pumps/powerheads.
I ran vinegar solution through my main return pump and backflushed the chiller for about 4 hours the other day, big improvement in flow and chilling performance back to how it was when new. :)

That's exactly what I have to do too,... I just gotta figure out how I'm going to do it , did you just shut down the return flow back to the main tank for 4 hours or did you add another pump so you had business as usual while you did the clean out ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's exactly what I have to do too,... I just gotta figure out how I'm going to do it , did you just shut down the return flow back to the main tank for 4 hours or did you add another pump so you had business as usual while you did the clean out ?

Yeah, I removed the return pump, swapped the in/out connections and ran it in a 5 gallon bucket.
The way I have my mini refugium tied into the tank with it's own pump I could probably turn off the main pump/filter and be fine for a day or more.
that and circulation pumps/powerhead keep the fish happy.

One weird thing to report ,.... Due to prior fishing commitments , I didn't get a chance to do my normal weekly water change last week ,... As most of you already know the better quality gfo was out of stock just about everywhere a month or two ago ., I purchased a canister full when it came back into stock and added a little more than normal to my reactor ,... Last week I noticed that largest colony of gsp had virtuality shrunk into a set of tree branches ,... I figured I better get my butt in gear and do a clean sweep this week by replacing the water via my pwc,the carbon , gfo and remove the slimy mess in my ats.
Everything went as planned until I got to the gfo in my reactor which was hard as a rock !!! I had to chip it out with a few caveman like tools ,.... First time that ever happened ! After considerable thinking I figured that maybe the flow to the gfo wasn't up to par and that caused the cement mixture? Well, happy to report that a few days later the gsp has recovered nicely and All's well again. Whew !

Sounds like you caught it before any real damage could happen. I'm glad to hear that your coral is making a come back. It's definitely hard to have outside activities when you have a reef tank to take care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow ,...its been a long time since I posted anything here ! Tank wise nothing really going on of note, things are " steady as she goes "..... I leave for Hawaii next week and will do a pwc and gfo and carbon change later on this week to set the tank up for my absence .
Seeing that I replaced a bad sticking pump and a sticky powerhead semi recently I do not anticipate any major incidents happening while I'm gone BUT you know how that goes :-/.
I just ordered a 200 gallon bucket of my favorite salt mix and the gfo from marine depot which I would imagine I'll get tomorrow ( usually one day service from where I live ) , fingers crossed that all goes well. Aloha

Thanks Greg , I'm sure we will,... This trip is kind of a strange one because my long time girl friend of 15 + years and constant Hawaii companion decided that it was time for her to move on elsewhere, ..soooooo, this trip will be with my mom ( 93 yrs ) who acts and gets around like she's 65, and my nephew Brian .
One of the coolest things about this trip is we decided we were going to fly there 1st class for once in our lives !!! That alone will make this trip special from the start.,we'll prob feel like the Beverly hillbillies !!!
After talking things over with Brian we decided that we'd bring our snorkeling gear and I'd take him to " two step " .
I did order one of those crazy looking new full face snorkeling masks that everyone seems to love now ...Not that I don't already own a bunch of high dollar masks anyway, but it'll be something new to investigate and play with..
Looking forward to seeing all the tangs, triggerfish , wrasses etc that this place has to offer , if the conditions are right it'll be mind boggling for Brian to see.

I think the one I ordered is a little smaller overall but basically the same general design ,.... I guess I'll be the Guinea pig

Ok,.. snorkeling report.... arrived at " two step " around 9 am and were pleasantly surprised to find a very light load of snorkels :) .... the water was a lot murkier than some of my previous visits but there's been a pretty good swell the last couple of days so maybe that has something to do with it ,.. as always " two step" just refuses to disappoint ,.. there was lots of large heathy yellow tangs grazing among the rocks and coral, a few moorish idols here and there to make one say "wow " what a beautiful animal, parrotfish seemingly were oblivious to anything around them as the chewed away on the coral clusters ,a few nice big fat humu's laying back and keeping a very close eye on you making sure you kept your distance before they bolted. It was so awesome to be able to be there again !
A equipment report if I may ,....I eluded to buying one of the newer fullface masks that greg had already ,... I already have a few moderately priced masks that I've managed to acquire over the years that have served me well, any of you guys that have a large flowing mustache knows that getting a mask that doesn't leak is pretty hard to find, I normally use a pretty good dab of silicone grease around that area to help seal out the water and 95 % of the time it works well,...today I started out using my trusty " sea vision " mask while I got my snorkeling legs back ,...after a long relaxing tour of the pinnacle tops and caverns I went back to shore and decided to try out the new full face mask,... I was a little apprehensive to tell you the truth but after about 30 seconds I was totally flabbergasted as how well these new masks worked , no leaks,no snorkel in your mouth and very comfortable ! It's kinda neat to be able to breath thru you mouth or your nose and not have the mask fog up at all... I am a total believer now,...the ol' sea vision mask is now retired as 2nd string !!!!
Maybe this little rant will help someone out there on the cusp about buying one ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474675164.341814.jpg

Wow! you saw all those fish without having to dive. Happy to hear you are having fun and glad your new mask is working out for you.
Happy snorkeling.?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom