Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow ,...the obstacle avoidance feature works great ,... my mavic pro and inspire 1 are good enough for what I do with em,... still curious about the blower in the ats tho....btw , any clue on what that big triggerfish at two step was ?

Last edited:
I gave my Mavic Pro to my best friend that has been fighting cancer. Gives him something to do that makes him smile. I still have a Air and I1pro. But I fly the M2P most of the time.

I thought you had a ATS like mine. I decided (as usual) that the stock unit wasn’t very efficient, so I changed the lights and added a blower to force fresh air over the algae growing surface (a trick I learned from my old ATS that ran for 20 years). Between the new lights and the airflow I tripled the algae production.

Yes I have the same ats you have but a smaller one ,... so I guess a little cooler airflow over the algae make a big difference. Could you get a picture of the apparatus so I can see just what you did ?
A day before I was going to leave for Hawaii I was cleaning out my protein skimmer and was getting a little stay electricity in the barrel that the skimmer lives in ,... having gone thru this a half dozen times before I unplugged my last koralia powerhead that I will ever own and instantly the situation returned to normal ,...that powerhead was pointed towards the surface to agitate the water .
While in Hawaii one nite I ordered a cheapie powerhead called a “ sun sun” jvp-131 powerhead to replace it when I got home , when it arrived I installed it in the exact position that the other one was and when I plugged it in a mountain of water was being pushed up and almost out of the tank !!! I had to reposition it about another 6 inches lower so not to cause a minor flood ,...wow that little powerhead has some serious pumping power !! Way more than the hydros ever did .
Now we’ll see about their longevity. I think the unit cost like $25 or so .
Nice touch on giving away the mavic to your buddy !!

Dary, sorry to hear about your PBT. I've had good luck with my tangs though none of them PBTs. Greg, positive thoughts to your friend.

Hey Sean,... I haven’t had any problems with other type of tangs only the pbt’s ,... they seem to really start to fatten up and seem as healthy and as happy as can be then after 8 or 9 months “wooop” there they go !
One day maybe I’ll figure it out ? :-/

My nemesis has always been angels. Large or dwarf. My wife has imposed a "No Angel" edict in this house. I'd say I can't argue with her.

Hey Greg !! .... sorry, but I’ve haven’t been on the forum for quite awhile lately ,.. sorry to hear about you having to get a new knee, but knowing you, you’ll probably be better than ever .
Not much going on tank wise over here,...my tank has been kinda shuffled under life’s priorities lately and is kinda doing whatever it’s doing .,one of these days I’m going to have to take out a bottle of aptasia x and go to town but otherwise still plugging along.
Hope you’re healing up nicely and your tank is up and running as usual .take care !!

Hey Greg ,..I was thinking the same about you !! I’m still here on the forum but barely anymore ....I’m actually on my last day in Hawaii today before heading back home , we went to two step and snorkeled around yesterday for awhile ,...totally amazing ,tons of tangs,parrots ,idols etc.
Tank wise everything is ok,... nothing major going on good or bad .,life has really been playing a large part on my tank situation but maybe things will straighten out a little and I can dive back into it head first again,
Hopefully, you’ve managed to keep your reef in pristine condition as usual.

My son has taken most of the weight of advancing our satellite network. It’s been a up and down summer. The tank had to take care of itself for a while. But I’m again adding things, got new more powerful lights and I’m adding a Ocean Swipe 360 robot to clean and polish this old tank. Coming up on 30 years!

Since I found I couldn’t post pictures anymore to this site, I’ve gone to REEF2REEF for most of my interactions.

Good to hear from you buddy.

It’s kinda funny but every time I go snorkeling and watch all the tangs and moorish idols etc cruising around and doing their daily routine I think even a 1000 gallon tank seems sooooo small !!!
I know how impracticable this seems for us hobbyist but get the biggest tank you can ,... keep it as pristine as you can but it’s still like keeping a race horse in a closet .
(To me ) I find it amazing how tangs are so territorial towards one another in the home aquarium and yet on the reefs you’ll run across a couple of hundred yellow tangs tightly bunched up and cruising around together ,I imagine this is a protective scenario based on predators but interesting to observe anyways.
This was the first time in years that I did not bring any underwater cameras with me due to packing constraints etc.
Greg,...your robotic cleaner looks interesting I’m sure there’s some fine tuning involved in getting it zeroed in for your setup., just out of curiosity how much was that booger ?

Oh go ahead .... I won’t tell anyone .... and for the record Everyone on the forum don’t look !

Back
Top Bottom