DaveMc's 36g Bow Front Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really sorry to hear the news dave! At least the fish and your BTA are ok. Hope it gets better soon! So nothing else happened recently that could have caused the crash? Any dosing or new additions? Could the rfa have gotten sucked into the powerhead?

It really sounds like an anemone went for a walk into the powerhead. Cloudy water, stringy stuff through the powerhead, more sensitive corals die off from parameters.

Really sorry to hear the news dave! At least the fish and your BTA are ok. Hope it gets better soon! So nothing else happened recently that could have caused the crash? Any dosing or new additions? Could the rfa have gotten sucked into the powerhead?

It really sounds like an anemone went for a walk into the powerhead. Cloudy water, stringy stuff through the powerhead, more sensitive corals die off from parameters.

Hey guys,

No dosing, although I have been thinking about it. I found the RFA but it doesn't look like it has been chewed up...just shrunken and small. The only thing that was done is used joe's juice on some aiptasia I found in the tank.

But joes juice and aiptaia-x are made to be a neutral substance in the tank besides to glass anemone. I've even had other anemone accidentally consume some with little effect, to return to normal days later. Not the culprit and is still be eying up that anemone.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

But joes juice and aiptaia-x are made to be a neutral substance in the tank besides to glass anemone. I've even had other anemone accidentally consume some with little effect, to return to normal days later. Not the culprit and is still be eying up that anemone.

You are right Sniper. I was doing some more checking and was looking at the pump and found some pieces of the RFA in it. also found a piece in the back of the tank as well.

Didn't think it was the JJ, been sing it for a while with no issues. Just don't understand why he done that. He had stayed in the same spot I placed him when I got him, was eating good and showing great color.

Well at least you know culprit Dave! Something that wasn't your mistake, just the movement of a silly anemone

Well at least you know culprit Dave! Something that wasn't your mistake, just the movement of a silly anemone

True, does make me feel better lol. But, so this doesn't happen again I am going to be making changes shortly to make sure this doesn't happen again. Once my zoa's, Zenia and GSP start to open up again then I will get more corals. Oh and snails....don't have a single one left now lol.

Lol yea I think that is a definite excuse for a coral binge ;) it's amazing how they can wipe out a tank like that

Lol yea I think that is a definite excuse for a coral binge ;) it's amazing how they can wipe out a tank like that

RIGHT! Hahaha. :lol:

I never thought they could wipe out a tank that quick! I have heard of them doing that but even when I had my 10g nano and my condy too a trip to the powerhead and got chewed up....this didn't happen.

nems and power heads don't mix , now I run lady's nylons on the power heads keeps things from getting sucked in
been there done that

nems and power heads don't mix , now I run lady's nylons on the power heads keeps things from getting sucked in
been there done that

Never thought about using nylons....good idea! Gonna give it a shot :)

I'd be interested in knowing why it started to move. How odd if it was planted for awhile. Any recent changes besides the Joe's Juice?

Same here Sniper, and no other changes other then adding the 2 nems to the tank. Still baffled as well :blink::blink:

Really sorry to hear about the crash man :(. Sucks when these kinda things happen

Wow. Sucks about the crash.

Oh no Dave, that's terrible :(

Really sorry to hear about the crash man :(. Sucks when these kinda things happen

Thanks guys, I knew it would happen sooner or later...just had that feeling lol. But glad now rather than later when I had more int he tank.

The corals that did survive are starting iopen back up and looking better now. I think after another good WC all will be back to normal.

you will need a little stronger power head as the nylons will restrict the flow a bit
but they work amazingly (y)

Cool...good point. The one I have now does about 1000gph so should be strong enough...I hope lol.

Sorry to hear about the crash :(

I've heard about that happening with anemones - sucks cause they're such a pretty coral.

img_3145274_0_32012638480bde31496d8098bb485cbb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom