Dead cleaner wrasse help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
Yesterday I picked up a cleaner wrasse, Not knowing the LFS Parameters I Acclimated him for about one hour. He seemed to be doing fine yesterday, Lights went out at night I went to bed and woke up and found him dead this morning!

Did water test as soon as I found him
Ph 8.2
Amm 0
Trites 0
Trates 20

It's a 55gl 10gl sump with refug. Only other fish are two clowns & some crabs, turbo & corals.

What happened, could it if been the nitrates?

Not the nitrates. 20ppm causes no issue for fish. Have you seen it eat? They can be difficult to feed, perhaps starvation coupled with the stress of the move could be the culprit.

Any problem tankmates?

Not the nitrates. 20ppm causes no issue for fish. Have you seen it eat? They can be difficult to feed, perhaps starvation coupled with the stress of the move could be the culprit.

Any problem tankmates?

He ate, gave some frozen and I saw him eating it. No mean tanks mates either.

I'm mad because this LFS dose t take returns! I had him for about 15hr! And now that I think about it they got a fish delivery that day! I wonder if he was part of it!! If so they shouldn't of sold him to me! In that case I bet stress! Hmmm worth a call!

That's possible. Many suppliers & some dealers keep tanks at quite low salinities to fight parasites. If that were the case, a 1hr acclimation would not be adequate.

Cleaner wrasses are tough to keep. I've tried a couple times (many years ago) and they lasted a week or two.

I put mine in a qt for a few weeks get them eating good and stress free then put him in the Dt. But they are hard to keep most die in captivity from what I read

Well thanks hearing they are hard to keep makes me feel much better!!! Wish the guy at the LFS told me that!!!

When I went back to the LFS he ended up giving me 75% of my money back!! So I got a mandarin goby! I've been waiting for so long because I wanted to make sure my pod population was up to par, it has been for months I was just scared to bite the bullet! But what convinced me is this guy eats mysis!! He's been at the LFS for a bit so they had to get him to eat something! He looks good this morning!!

I really think

Its been my experience that if you dont have enough livestock with ick or whatever for these fish to pick off and eat they wont last long. IMHO

Yep in all honesty even though I have one I think these types of fish should be left in the ocean...

Very strange I have had a cleaner wrasse since the beginning like 4 years now haha started in a 10 gallon nano now he's been thru a 90 and now loving the 160 gettin pretty large actuwally to

Back
Top Bottom