Dead Coral Beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Found morning my Coral Beauty (Centropyge bispinosus) dead with a hole in stomach. The hole edges are very clean like cut with a sharp instrument. Could it be result of some parasitic disease or were he possibly killed by crabs or CBS? At least two days ago he was swimming as usual, can't remember whether i saw him yesterday or not :(

040731-001.jpg

040731-002.jpg

Wow, sorry for your loss. Not sure what killed him, but the hole could be the clean up crew going to work.
Not sure, just a possiblilty.

quarryshark said:
but the hole could be the clean up crew going to work.
Quite possible, there was couple of hermits duty with his body when I took it out. They probably attack the weakest point of the prey first. I'd never saw this before 8O

Its very hard to tell if that was the cause but if you ahve a good established tank with a hermits, shrimp expecially the CBS, and bristleworms its almost impossible to find a dead fish before they get first dibs. THe fish has lots of color to it and thats not something normally found on dead fish so I would be inclinded to belive it died very recently.

How well was it eating? From your first photo it looks like it was eating well.

fishfreek said:
Its very hard to tell if that was the cause but if you ahve a good established tank with a hermits, shrimp expecially the CBS, and bristleworms its almost impossible to find a dead fish before they get first dibs.
I got him three weeks ago. Here's the picture taken next day after introducing. Yes, I have two fire shrimps, one skunk and CBS, about 30 hermits, 30 snails and a black banded serpent star Ophiolepis superba, sure they will take care of victim immediately.

040713-034.jpg

fishfreek said:
THe fish has lots of color to it and thats not something normally found on dead fish so I would be inclinded to belive it died very recently.

How well was it eating? From your first photo it looks like it was eating well.
I found the body in the morning in the Sinularia (bottom left corner on the picture below), which means that it happened inbetween 1 and 8 AM. When I went to bed nothing unusual were seen.

How well it was eating is little bit hard to tell, because it didn't take any supplemental food like most of my other fishes, but still was always picking algae from LR and tank walls. Maybe it took spirulina flakes too, but it was almost all the time hiding behind and in the rockwork, so can't confirm that.

040719-008.jpg

Sorry for your loss :(

BTW- Beautiful tank! 8O How long have you had the Idol?

indy said:
How long has it been setup?
Three months. Actually this is an upgrade from my old 100 g tank. Initially I moved part of sand and LR from old to new setup, added 25 lb new live sand to refugium and 125 lb new LR. After two weeks the cycling was finished, then I moved rest of sand and LR along with all other habitants.

It has been very stable, even after adding lot of fishes three weeks ago. The biological filtration with LR and DSB in refugium seems to work very well. I'm cultivating Caulerpa in refugium as well, so no nitrates are detectable.

Almost forgot, in the refugium there is living my favorite creature - the peacock mantis! 8)

040712-033.jpg

Sorry to hear about your coral beauty. Great looking tanks though! Good luck with the Morish Idol. Sadly, they only live a couple of months in captivity. I hope yours is the exception and not the rule. Best of luck! Lando

lando said:
Good luck with the Morish Idol. Sadly, they only live a couple of months in captivity. I hope yours is the exception and not the rule. Best of luck! Lando
Why? Do you have personal experience with Moorish Idol?

If you mean feeding problems, then mine is the best eater I'm ever seen. It eats absolutely all I'm offering, except sponges, many times referred to as the native main food for Idols. BTW, I have lot of various sponges in the tank. All other fishes are acting peaceful toward him, so I don't see any problem... still... :?: knock, knock, knock :!:

040713-005.jpg

quarryshark said:
Wow, cool Mantis!! Its ashame they are so nasty.
Nice pic!! :wink:
Nasty :?:
I found mantis the most intelligent and fascinating creature in my tank :mrgreen:

More my mantis pictures and videos available <<here>> :wink:

040712-017.jpg

Albert...I have not had any first hand experience with the Moorish Idol. I have never considered even housing one of these fish. I can only pass along what I have read here and heard from others. There is something we are missing with these fish. Something we have not figured out yet. Your story starts as many others did. The fish eats great, looks great, and acts great. Then without warning...dead. Large public aquariums even consider this fish very challenging to keep, and many are unsuccessful at it. I am in no way trying to dampin your spirits or look down on you for getting one, just sharing a little of what I have heard. BTW, your pics are great! Good luck and keep us posted...Lando

albert said:
quarryshark said:
Wow, cool Mantis!! Its ashame they are so nasty.
Nice pic!! :wink:
Nasty :?:
I found mantis the most intelligent and fascinating creature in my tank :mrgreen:
quote]

Nasty, yes they have been know to wipe out entire tanks. No too keen to find one munching one of my fish. That being said.
I have nothing against them, in fact I was slightly dissapointed that I havn't gotten one on any of my rock. I had my 10 gallon standing be just in case. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom