Dead Hermits, again and again...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dude. I got more than enough. i bought like 200 extra ones from reefcleaners when I first started this SW thing. I have em in every shape and size. LOL

I edited my earlier response.You may be just seeing their old discarded legs and body skin.

I keep my reef at a minium of 420 up to 480 calcium level.Depends on your corals etc.

But yes calcium is needed for shrimp,hermits all craps to molt.

Calcium is at 460. If they were just molting them I would still have the same number hermits. lol :)

I have maybe 5 left and all in all I've put in say 20 or more.

Same here. If they were molting I would have the same number. But the number of hermits in my tank has def dwindled. Plus now I have empty shells lying around the bottom of my tank that weren't there before.

I have like a graveyard of them too. lol I leave em in so when I get more, which I always do, theres even more shells. I just found a couple shells in nooks and crannies of my LR, empty, while I was looking for my YWG. They were all under the darn rocks. hehe

You talking those teeny hermits that sell for $1 or less? Ya know, I never was concerned with the emnpty shells. Twice yearly, I'd just add 20 or 30 more of'm (well, that was a 150g tank) for $15 or so and never give it a second thought why they were dying off. In addition to the tiny crevices they cleaned for me, I thought it was a natural thing for the larger crabs to snack on them.

I actually got to watch a crab molt today, at first I saw it on the top of my LR, as I was wondering what it was doing crawling in & out of it's shell. Then I saw what looked to be a full body waving in the current and thought it was dead. I picked the body out & looked in the shell and there it was, irritated but alive. It hasn't left the shell since or moved, I assume it's recuperating in there or something.

I was going out to get a couple Hermits or so and then found out my tusk likes them for light snacking. :)

I know my brothers spider when molting would stay put on his back looked like he was dead then in a few days poof there was two spiders lol maybe the hermits are doing something like this idk though hermits where never my thing

just too be certain they are dead use a red torch a couple of hours after lights out,my small hermits wont move until then.

Found another carcass today, rather large hermit too. I think I have 4 left, and counting. lol

I still have no idea. LOL it's just a cube thing I guess cause they are fine in my other tanks. I put 10 in the 125g a few weeks ago, guess how many I still have? 10. lol

The cube is eating my fish and inverts. I bought a replacement banana (YWG) for the cube, hopefully he doesn't disappear too. :)

At me? LOL They wouldn't dare! After all the time, love and money? hehehe....

I guess it's just one of those things. As shown in this thread, a bunch of people have the same problem with no apparent cause. Maybe they are snacking on each other? Until someone sees it happening it's a mystery.....muuuahhhhh

Back
Top Bottom