Dead rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nate1633

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I found this guy on Craigslist near me that is selling a ton of dead rock for $2 a pound. I don't have the supplies to cure it all so how can I add it to my existing 50lbs of live rock with out problems

Thanks

55 gallon reef

Get a container that is safe for drinkable water. Throw the rock in with a heater, saltwater, and a powerhead. Toss in a cocktail shrimp and let it cycle like your tank.

If its dead rock, and not dead live rock, there won't be any die off from it, thus it won't cause any issues with the water chemistry. Meaning, you can just add it to the tank, and it won't do any harm, the bacteria will grow on it.

So I found this guy on Craigslist near me that is selling a ton of dead rock for $2 a pound. I don't have the supplies to cure it all so how can I add it to my existing 50lbs of live rock with out problems

Thanks

55 gallon reef

How long have you had your other 50lbs of rock? I assume it's functioning as set-up display with live stock already? If you're still in the cycling stage you can just go ahead and toss er right in the aquascape.

Since you're likely not, I gotta ask you to ask yourself is it worth it? Were you looking for more rock before you saw the $2 deal? Is it a good deal? If you're not in process of cycling already it could be more work than is necessarily worth it.. You would have to isolate this rock to a container, like mentioned above, with a strong circulation pump for around 6wk-3 months depending on how you go about adding the rock. You likely could add all 50lbs at once, but if there was any die off it may be so much it could cause a new cycle in your display... bad... So you may have to add slowly.... And remember you need to top off this container with freshwater... Those of us with ATO may find this annoying.

How far away is this guy? Sometimes a craigslist deal has you dropping $40 in the tank to even get it. Turn that into shipping. Here's what I'd do. I'd head over to bulkreefsupply and check out there dry rock that's between $2-$3(and higher) a pound... Theres other dry rock suppliers as well, I preferred brs... With dry rock you do not have any of the dead organics as you do with the old rock... Major benefit. You will not have the aged algae look though, but I view this as a good thing.. Overtime this rock will naturalize its look in your tank as it grows coral/algaes. Dry rock will also more easily allow the colonization of nitrifying bacteria for filtration as all pores are open and not filled in with old matter.

You can also put this directly in your tank without having to deal with the curing process. It is also likely going to run you the same ballpark, and you're going to have the ability to choose exactly the type of rock you want. There's some sweet tonga shelfs that enhance ANY aquascape.

Ok I think I will turn the guy down and probably buy from brs but can I just put that rock straight in or put it in slowly one piece at time or ect

55 gallon reef

I have heard mixed opinions about putting dry rock straight in

55 gallon reef

Ok I think I will turn the guy down and probably buy from brs but can I just put that rock straight in or put it in slowly one piece at time or ect

55 gallon reef

I think that if you get the "Reef Saver Dry Rock" it is clean, sterile and good to go.

the other types, Pukani and Fiji, they recommend you clean and cycle them because they DO contain dead organism.

Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand - Bulk Reef Supply

I put 20lbs of Reef Saver Dry Rock and 20lbs of their clean rubble into my tank with absolutely no problems.
just be sure to rinse them good first or you will have rock dust everywhere.

If it's dry rock you're good to go. If it is once live rock that is now dead and dry you would have the organic die off still. BRs is all dry good to put in immediately.

BRs is all dry good to put in immediately.

not all of it, read the disclaimer in big bold print for the Pukani and Fiji rock. the only one they say can go directly in a tank is the "reef saver" variety.

NOTE: This rock does come out of the ocean and may have some dead material on it such as sponges or other critters. We strongly suggest soaking or curing the rock before use in an active aquarium.
Dry live rock is not available for shipment to Canada due to high tariffs. Please consider Reef Saver rock as it is not subject to these fees and is our favorite of the dry rocks available.

You will still be able to put Fiji or even Pukani rock directly into a display... While there is some POTENTIAL room for dead organisms there would not be a shock to the bio-load but a possible phosphate increase. Perform a big water change after placing or run GFO. I wouldn't be worried about adding small amount of this rock to the established system. Does not hurt to dip in circulation water for a night though. Most of the organisms have been stripped completely..

Back
Top Bottom