Dead rock to Live Rock time period?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've looked around and I "think" the right answer is about 4-6 weeks but I wanted to run this by everyone. I'm not looking for AWESOME looking rock covered in cor. but just having the bacteria in place doing the work.

I took 5lb LR and put into my 10gal SUMP. Added another 5lb of Dead Rock (Lava Rock). Mag 7 pumping roughly 450-500 gph back to the 55gal tank.

What would one expect that this rock becomes "LIVE"? IE: Start being beneficial to my tank. I'm looking to upgrade my primary tank, but I'm also increasing my LR size slowly.

Is it better to just buy some new LR and cure with dead rock in QT? IE: Get 20lbs LR and 20lb Dead and put into QT tank for 4-6 weeks.

i just wanted to say your picture looks like the animals they make outa your towels ever night on cruises iv been on lol..... sorry im not sure about your live rock delema but i would say if you put live rock in with some dead base rock probably around 6 months or so but thats just a wild guess.

lava rock even when its been in with live rock for a while is not porous enough to work as well as live rock does.
you might wanna look into carib-sea reef rock /reef bones or the honey comb base rocks they sell, its probably the same or cheeper than lava rock anyway.

Cool Thanks!

mattt6511 - You are RIGHT that's exactly where I got that photo. Me and the Mrs went on a cruise a while back and that was one of those critters. I was looking for something creative for my profile. The others didn't really turn out.

Back
Top Bottom