Dead spots in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJ-MIK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 150 and 3 pumps in the tank.. The sides underneath the pumps has a flat gray color .. Looks like old food sitting on top of the sand.. What is a good fish or vert to get to eat all that stuff? Every week I turn the pump straight down to blow it around. But it comes right back..

It sounds like you might need to re arrange your pumps, or look into a wave maker/surge/rotation system. There aren't many fish you can buy that you can depend on to fix a dead spot

I tried moving my pumps. I may end up buying to hydor nano pumps just to put in the corners

I have 2 1050's 1 in each corner. Then one 350 in yhe center back behind the reef

I have the two hydors on the smart wave alternating every 15 minutes. Can't run them both at the same time with that controller

I would upgrade them. get something much larger. you don't need more power heads IMO, just stronger ones.

I just bought them.. Lol and I just think running them both at the same time is making my softies not very happy.. There blowing all over the place..

Well, they can't be blowing too hard if you are getting a detritus build up on the sand bed. Try rearranging them to indirectly hit the soft corals.
IMO/IME, 1050 power heads are not nearly enough flow for a 150 reef.
On the tank at the Devon Fitness Club I used to maintain, I had 4 x 1500 gph power heads in it and I still felt it wasn't enough. It was also a 150.

I've got them on each end pointing at the front glass and the softies were they sit are folding over. Running one at a time they still blow. But looks tolerable for them..

Back
Top Bottom