deep Sand base

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as copi said 4-6 inches. the purpose of a DSB is to remove nitrates from the system. that depth will be needed to get the anaerobic conditions needed for denitrification.

i have 2 inches min. in my 20 gallon... Am i supposed to mix up the sand to oxygenate it every so often??

with a 2 in sand bed you are not getting the conditions needed for denitrification(lack of oxygen). with that being said oxygenating the sand bed wont hinder the process since the bed is not deep enough to house the proper beneficial denitrifying bacteria.

Does the sand have to be live sand from the LFS to work, or will the standard dry caribsea sand "become" live sand? Can I put down 1" or 2" of the dry stuff then 1 or 2 of the live sand?

billburroughs said:
Does the sand have to be live sand from the LFS to work, or will the standard dry caribsea sand "become" live sand? Can I put down 1" or 2" of the dry stuff then 1 or 2 of the live sand?

Dry sand will become live sand. Critters from the LR will make their way to the sandbed and populate it over time. Putting down a few inches of dry sand and adding an inch of live sand on type is fine. If the live sand from your LFS has critters in it then go for it, if not just use dry sand and add some nice fresh LR.

What about a Mud system..? What I've heard is that a DSB is not needed and might even cause problems if you use it with mud. Is this true?

I was thinking of doing an EcoSystem with mud and a 1 - 2" sand bed. Thoughts?

I have only seen the mud being used in refugiums. I wouldn't mix the mud with sand for aesthetic purposes.

Sorry, that's what I meant. Mud in the Fuge but then what do you put in the main tank? Sand? And how much of it..?

Back
Top Bottom