Deep Sand Bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curiousclam120

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, so like I've said before, I will be starting up my first saltwater aquarium. It will be a mixed reef tank and I want to try to make mistakes to a minimum :rolleyes:. There has been a lot of debate on deep sand beds or shallow sand beds so I am confused on what to believe since I am new and all :blink: So I have some basic background info about this topic, but I want to know if it will be the right thing for the system I am setting up. I will add beneficial worms and snails to the system to help, but I won't be getting LR so I will probably be missing on other beneficial creatures? Anyway, any feedback or suggestions or info on this would be great (y) ! I don't want my sand getting black and releasing toxins into the water, killing all the life. Rather do this the right way!
:thanks:

Does anyone have any input? I'm also wondering which would be a better choice...deep sand bed in the refugium or just rock. I'm leaning towards sand, but I will definitely consider any suggestions. Thanks :)

I would stock it with chaetomorpha-macro algae. Lots of worms and snails that sift through the sand...like bristle worms and such. Amphipods and Copepods would be directly added. What do you think?

are we talking just about your refugium, or the whole tank? I think you're probably going to want some LR in the display, the refugium is up to you. If you plan it big enough, go with a DSB (very fine), rubble rock, and chaeto. Leave room for protein skimmer, phosban/bio media reactor, and heater and you're good to go. Its not often the people put algae in the display tank, i've heard of some very rare micro algae that sells for tons of $, but never seen it.

Oh i was talking about the refugium for the time being. Switching gears now! I'm not putting macro-algae in the display...probably a potential tang or herbivore would eat it...anyway. I'm not using LR shocker! I have already bought 100 lbs of dry pukani rock. I will probably only use 50-70 lbs because I have so much! I will be adding ammonia and bacteria to start the cycle. The reason I didn't want to get LR is because its really expensive for one! I would have to get 200 or 300 lbs of live rock (b/c most on the cheap side are small rocks that way a lot!) and they aren't as porous as I would like them to be (most just look man-made to me)...again there is a lot of nice LR, but I'm not willing to pay $500-1000 for just rock! :p Also, it would most likely have pests that I don't want to deal with or will damage my set-up. Dry rock is just a better alternative for me :p

If anyone has any suggestions...I definitely will take them in! Is it better to have a deep sand bed or could it be the death of a tank started by a rookie? Thanks :p

curiousclam120 said:
If anyone has any suggestions...I definitely will take them in! Is it better to have a deep sand bed or could it be the death of a tank started by a rookie? Thanks :p

I have a deep sand bed in my BC 29 for what it's worth.

View attachment 86005

Last edited:
curiousclam120 said:
that beautiful..thank you for posting :p Did you add any organisms or did you have LR?

Thanks!! 35 pounds of cured LR and almost 40 pounds of LS I wanted a deep sand bed. It's deeper in other places, that's what I was going for the sand dune effect. I'm happy with it.

curiousclam120 said:
Its fantastic with all you've incorporated in that one biocube!

Thanks again! I worked very hard on it and it's always a work in progress. I'm always testing and doing water changes and changing filter floss etc... It's hard work and it's my first SW go! It's been up since January.

Back
Top Bottom