Deep sand bed advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfaceskates

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have just set up my 65 gal sw aquarium I have about 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand. I plan on adding 2 more inches of sand to this to make a dsb. Is this a good idea? Iv heard that the bacteria in the dsb can eliminate all nitrates in the water. Any help/advice on this subject would be of great help.Thanks

I have just set up my 65 gal sw aquarium I have about 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand. I plan on adding 2 more inches of sand to this to make a dsb. Is this a good idea? Iv heard that the bacteria in the dsb can eliminate all nitrates in the water. Any help/advice on this subject would be of great help.Thanks

I used dsb once and i wont do again my experience with it is after 3 years i decided to give it a lil stir well it released all the nutrients that were bound my nitrate got well over 100 coral died so on and so on if you go with dsb id reccommend some sand stirring inverts tongan nassarius snails by the dozens chaeto would be a better nutrient exporter imo

Deep sand beds are to NEVER be stirred. They are designed to provide a low oxygen environment for bacteria that breakdown nitrates. They do work but should not be stirred. Some people swear by them.

Deep sand beds are to NEVER be stirred. They are designed to provide a low oxygen environment for bacteria that breakdown nitrates. They do work but should not be stirred. Some people swear by them.

My dsb in my BC29 gets stirred by my pistol shrimp ALOT. He always moves to a different spot and digs and digs then my orange spotted goby goes in the tunnel and makes a home and the both just relax, until they get bored and start digging again.

Also have about 11 nassarius snails as well...

I didn't know that about NEVER being stirred up. Hope my tank will be ok. Been a year with no issues at all to report. Unless 4-5 inches of LS isn't considered a dsb?

Personal preference. If you do have one do not stir it, let the little critters like the sand sifters do their thing.
We have about 75 lbs of sand in each tank.

Don't mean to hijack just wanna be clear. So... It's ok for the snails, sand stars, pistol shrimps etc to do there thing, just don't stir it up yourself correct or no?

Don't mean to hijack just wanna be clear. So... It's ok for the snails, sand stars, pistol shrimps etc to do there thing, just don't stir it up yourself correct or no?

I would say it is a requirement to have a lot of sand sifters if you have a DSB.

There are two main thoughts here about deep sand beds. 1) if you have a deep sand bed you must have sifters like sand sifting star fish and sand snails to mix the sand slowly. 2) leave it all alone and never touch it or else you will kick off nasty crud.

After reading and reading and reading. 1 is better then 2. On that note 1 inch sand bed with a sump skimmer and a refugium some where would be even better ;-)

I would say it is a requirement to have a lot of sand sifters if you have a DSB.

There are two main thoughts here about deep sand beds. 1) if you have a deep sand bed you must have sifters like sand sifting star fish and sand snails to mix the sand slowly. 2) leave it all alone and never touch it or else you will kick off nasty crud.

After reading and reading and reading. 1 is better then 2. On that note 1 inch sand bed with a sump skimmer and a refugium some where would be even better ;-)

I also have a pistol with pistol shrimp digging aggressively i doubt the dsb is functioning as a proper dsb for it to funtion it needs low oxygen and slowly stirred so yours probably dont contain much nutrient as the pistol keeps oxygenating and not allowing nutrient to build up so imo its more cosmetic than functional at this point

I also have a pistol with pistol shrimp digging aggressively i doubt the dsb is functioning as a proper dsb for it to funtion it needs low oxygen and slowly stirred so yours probably dont contain much nutrient as the pistol keeps oxygenating and not allowing nutrient to build up so imo its more cosmetic than functional at this point

Ahhh... Ok I got it. I like the look so I guess it's good for me.

So if I want a functional dsb don't get anything that stirs up the sand alot?

Ahhh... Ok I got it. I like the look so I guess it's good for me.

I like it to i have a yellow watchmen and pistol that live together i just moved them from my 55 to my 150 i put them in separate within minutes they were back together :) must be love lol

Back
Top Bottom