defective heater killed peps.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seafan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:( I found my two peppermint shrimp lying on their back and opaque this afternoon. When I reached in to remove their lifeless bodies, I felt that the water was cool. I checked my heater and it had its indicator light on. When, I removed it, it was cold, The water temp was about 65 degrees. I usually try to keep it at 80 degrees. I looked at the heater that I had just got the week before, and I saw that the wire was dislocated and the circuit was not complete. I don't know how the indicator light was on, but I quickly replaced the heater, and all my other tank inhabitants (5 snails) seem to be fine.

P.S The first major cold snap of the season in Florida was two days ago.

I had the opposite experiance with my heater boiling my peppermint shrimp. Good thing the pep did it's job and ate all the aiptasia before becoming a cocktail.

Since what was left from the ship was opaque, are you sure that they didn't molt? I thought mine were dead the first time I found a molt. I hope that's the case with yours - keep looking around - they tend to hide right after a molt.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom