Denatured Alcohol....safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm pulling my 55gallon in from outside...it will be my sump in a few short days...anyways, I want to reinforce the silicone seals on the sides (the ones on the bottom are still very much present and strong) and I need to clean it, so as to make sure the silicone sticks. Will denatured alcohol (Isopropyl, I believe) be safe to use? I know most (if not all) evaporates, but I wanted to check first. Thanks all. :)

[edit]It's only been outside for a few weeks, due to lack of space for it inside...just wanted to tell everyone WHY I was crazy enough to have the tank outside in a Michigan winter ;) [/edit]

Denatured alcohol is ethanol 99% pure (approx). They denature it so it will not be food grad and cannot be consummed. Generally this is done with methanol or gasoline.

And rubbing alcohol from the store contains oil so your skin doesn't dry out.

If it is denatured ethanol without oils added then it should be fine but let it evaporate well before adding the silicone and when the silicone is dry make sure to rinse the tank well.

Back
Top Bottom