Designing Sump with Auto Topoff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am converting a FW 90 Gallon tank into a SW Reef tank and creating a Sump based on the famous RLG2182 Design:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046

I am doing this in a 30 gallon (36x12x16) tank. I have a ASM G2 Skimmer which works best at 6-10 inches of water...so I am going to cut my baffles at 9 inches (as I have no room to raise the Skimmer under the tank).

I am making 1 modification...which is an Auto Topoff from my RO unit. When have the baffles cut, I am an going to have them drill a 5/8 inch hole in the taller "Refugium" baffle.

Having never seen a sump like this actually running....I was wondering how low the return reservoir gets when running full. Will the water level actually be at 9 inches...or 8...or...7 inches lower. Basically I need to know where to have the 5/8 hole for the Float valve to be installed. I have a kent float valve which needs installed in a hole 1 inch higher than the desired water level. What should I choose for the level?

My thoughts are to have the hole drilled at 9 inches on the 10 inch baffle, which will keep the level in the return reservior at 8 inches..and probably activate the RO at like 7 inches.

Does this make any sense?? I hope to draw up some pictures later on today.

Thanks!

Steve

Not sure on what you're describing, but I'm doing the JBJ Auto Top-Off unit. Got float switches on a reservoir (37g tanak w/fw) and my sump/fuge. When It gets about 1/2 gallon low (guessing), it fills.

Check that out and see if it'll help your setup.

Back
Top Bottom