Devils Hand and Elegance Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Doing some reseach for the coral part of my livestock list, and ran into some information that suggests that the devils hand family, Lobophytum, is toxic and can cause significant damage to stony corals. Also that they are considered to be in the "most toxic" catagory. Does anyone know if the devils hand falls into this danger species of Lobophytum? Also, if anyone has any input on a novice keeping elegance corals let me know. I hear that they are nothing but problems from one source, and that they are hardy from another.

Thanks

Does anyone know if the devils hand falls into this danger species of Lobophytum?

The devils hand is a species in the Lobophytum genus and yes, there terpenes are considered to be nasty stuff. However, use of GAC will keep them from being a problem. FWIW, almost all soft corals are toxic to some degree or another.

Also, if anyone has any input on a novice keeping elegance corals let me know. I hear that they are nothing but problems from one source, and that they are hardy from another.

If you can find one that has been in the store for over a month, it should be a hearty specimen, if newly imported you are taking your chances. The coral is and was a very hearty beginners coral, but they are being imported with problems, some say it's cause they are from deeper waters and there is too much light in our tanks...I don't agree with that, I am partial to the parasite theory. I think the decline follows that of parasitic infestation.

Back
Top Bottom