Diamond? Goby problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiefstrum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at the LFS today and picked up what he told me was a diamond goby. I had been looking for a small sand sifting goby for awhile (really wanted a randall's) and he told me this one wouldn't get too big for my 40gal breeder. I should have consulted my books first but it was a nice looking fish so I brought it home. Now I have two problems:

1. When I got home I got him in the tank and got my reef fish guide out to check out the particulars of this little guy. Now I am a little worried because it has blue spots on the cheeks like the picture of the orange spotted goby which this book says can get up to 8 inches long! Currently it is about 3 inches long

2. It started doing the sand sifting right away but then went straight for the hammerhead coral I have on a nice flat rock on the sand bed. It is one of my favorites and It won't work as a burrow since it would just fall in on the goby. So I moved the coral, put the sand back and figured it would try somewhere else. Five minutes later it was right back under the ever sinking hammerhead.

My question is: Does anyone have a good trick for catching a diamond goby in a reef tank? I went in with the net and within seconds it was lodged deep in my rockwork. Lesson learned - listen to the LFS guy but never trust him without prior research.

I had to wait awhile to catch him out and about after the chase last night

Attachments

• image-1545579062.jpg
    image-1545579062.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom