Diamond watchman goby?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ive always loved these little guys infact, they are what got me into SW! My 37g reef has been setup for 4 months and is growing alot of green algea on and in the sand. I only have a 1 inch sand bed and 50lbs of LR, would this be enough for the goby? My current stock is
1 flame angel
1 valentini puffer
2 purple fire fish
2 ocellaris clowns
1 starry blenny (black lawnmower blenny)
And a bunch of invertabrates.
I do not have a refugium tho.

Ive always loved these little guys infact, they are what got me into SW! My 37g reef has been setup for 4 months and is growing alot of green algea on and in the sand. I only have a 1 inch sand bed and 50lbs of LR, would this be enough for the goby? My current stock is
1 flame angel
1 valentini puffer
2 purple fire fish
2 ocellaris clowns
1 starry blenny (black lawnmower blenny)
And a bunch of invertabrates.
I do not have a refugium tho.

i think you have overstocked your tank already

they can get big. do you have any corals on your sand bed? it will cover them with sand. so you have to basically shake the sand off the corals all the time. I considered one but eventually decided against it.

i'm not too worried about the goby spitting sand on the corals on the sand bed. i'm more concerned with the space that you have for the fish you already have. at what point does anyone decide there's enough space for everyone to grab a piece of the territory or the fact that there's just not enough. and yes, the goby does get big

an analogy would be: i have a goldfish in a 5gal tank and nothing else. since there's only one fish, i can argue that i can probably add another one or so if i follow it up by some water change every week. but we all know that one goldfish in a 5gal is already pushing the limit and the bioload of the fish is too much already. it's your tank so it's up to you to decide whether or not to add another fish. but i would suggest move the flame angel first and then add the goby. plus, the diamond goby is my favorite fish by far as well, so i have nothing bad to say against it

Do you have some sort of cover for your tank ? That fish will jump at some point in his life.

Do you have some sort of cover for your tank ? That fish will jump at some point in his life.
This really depends on tank size, the fish's happiness and relative aggressiveness of tank mates. If they aren't stressed they likely won't jump. I have open top and no problems with my goby. He does occasionally try to eject snails from near his burrow out the top however.

i'm not too worried about the goby spitting sand on the corals on the sand bed.
You are worried about fish but not corals? I know of a man whose jawfish spit out so much sand that two of his corals and a clam suffocated. Granted the man wasn't around for 3-4 days but still it's a possibility.

I had one jump with a hood- a little hole by the hob filter I had at the time. I know a rusty angel I had at the time was the culprit he was king of the tank.

You are worried about fish but not corals? I know of a man whose jawfish spit out so much sand that two of his corals and a clam suffocated. Granted the man wasn't around for 3-4 days but still it's a possibility.

look, i do worry about my tank esp when i have both a plate coral and a diamond goby. but i have not seen my goby burying my plate coral at all. it's all fish personality dependent. other than plate coral, i have other corals on the sand bed, but as of today i have not seen my goby burying any of them. as matter of fact, when the goby sees the corals on the sandbed, it actually is smart enough to move away from it. i have no experience with jawfish, but last time i check they're different. i don't know others' tank setup or the space they have for the goby and the corals on the sandbed, but if you give the goby enough space, it won't spit sand right on top of the corals or clams. also, in this hobby, what works for one person will not guarantee the same method will work for others. you can call me lucky, or the fact that my goby is smart, or both, but so far, my corals are doing fine.

IME anything on or near the sand bed is fair game. I can no longer keep frag plugs in/on the sand. Goby has a tendency to take them and use as structural supports for his burrow. My goby is a little larger at 5" now and you'd be surprised what he can fit in that mouth. Corals, clams and such only have a potential to get buried if they are near burrow. Otherwise they rarely get sand on them. He does dig around their bases quite a bit and I constantly have to correct their orientation.

If it sifts sand it will eventually get to covering some of your corals. I cant even count how many corals I've lost because of gobies. They do their job of sifting with no regard for corals. It may take awhile but you will see for yourself. :)
And yes, they do jump, I had two that jumped over the years. They can jump but its no guarantee they will, just put a screen cover over the top, cheap and efficient.

Thought this was a cool video on a plate coral digging itself out of the sand after being buried.

they can get big. do you have any corals on your sand bed? it will cover them with sand. so you have to basically shake the sand off the corals all the time. I considered one but eventually decided against it.

I have a torch on the sand bed, but i can move it up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom