Diary of my first saltwater tank...Awesome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everybody, I'm new to the saltwater forum. I just got my new 37 gallon tank that I want to build a reef in and have a lot of questions.

First off, I want to run a Rena Filstar xP1 on it and a good skimmer (don't know anything about skimmers). Where is the CHEAPEST place on the internet to buy an xP1 and what kind of skimmer would you suggest for this size tank.

Also if you have any helpful advice that is unique to setting up and maintaining a saltwater aquarium...please let me know. I've got several successful freshwater aquariums but this is a whole new ball game for me.

Thanks.
-Brad

Attachments

• dsc01266_146.jpg
    dsc01266_146.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 45
People get pretty good deals on ebay. Read articles above and do a fishless cycle. Welcome to SW

Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" would also be a good start - except for the part about cycling with fish. Old book, but still a good read.

Just ignore the part about using live fish to cycle. We`ve come a long way on that subject since that book was written.

Welcome to the SW side! I'm not sure about skimmers, but on the SW side, it is best to not skimp on costs. Also, that hood might give you problems with pH. Just get a ph for surface ripple.

I need to get a glass top right? I was thinking of getting some glass tops and then building or buying some really sweet light setup for it. I want to grow corals and such...How much wattage should I shoot for when dealing with a tank this size?

Can anybody help me out with choosing a skimmer? I know nothing about them.

I'm going to go buy my substrate, the xP1, and the instant ocean today. They have a skimmer over there at petsmart too but its lke 100 bucks...I guess I need to see what the price match is on it.

I would not use glass tops unless you had to. They cause your PH to lower because of poor gas exchange. Some people use egg crate instead.

Well I will just build my own hood and put some awesome lights in it. That's no big deal, I've still got probobly a month or so till I will actually start putting fish in it.

Should I just go ahead and get an xP2 or xP3 instead of an xP1...It will give me much more flow, more stable water conditions, and probobly just make everthing work better in general...It's only like 40 bucks more...What do you think? The tank is 37 gallons, so an xP1 would probobly work...but....you know...

Does this skimmer look like it will work? do I need a powerhead for it?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...kimmer&In=Fish&previousText=skimmer&N=2023693

lg_57391_5518d.jpg

I`m taking it that this is a filter this xp1. I`ve never heard of it but in the nine years that I`ve had a tank I`ve used only LR and a skimmer. Other people have use filters and that`s OK but IME LR,LS and skimmer is all you need. Others will chime in about their experiences.

Really? No filter? How are you supposed to cycle the tank? Do I need to put live rock in the tank while it is cycling?

So if I do use a filter, will it take away the nutrients that feed the live rock?

Also where is a good place to buy live rock, there is some at petco but they are little peices...I want BIG ones...lol

And how do you get the corals and other organisms to grow off the rock? do they come "pre-planted" on the rock when you buy it?

Really? No filter?
I have a filter, but only use it for extra water movement and to run carbon, if needed. I haven't had carbon in it for almost 2 months.
How are you supposed to cycle the tank?
You will need an ammonia source, like a raw cocktail shrimp , from your grocery store.
Do I need to put live rock in the tank while it is cycling?
You can, it should help the cycle. You should have 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon for proper filtration.
So if I do use a filter, will it take away the nutrients that feed the live rock?
No, it shouldn't.
Also where is a good place to buy live rock, there is some at petco but they are little peices...I want BIG ones...lol
Bigger is not always better. You want to shoot for more surface area. I have found the larger pieces are great for the base of a "tower/wall/pile". If you get a bunch of big pieces, they tend to be a pain, if you need to move stuff around, IMO.
As for retailers, people like these two:
liveaquaria.com and tampabaysaltwater.com
And how do you get the corals and other organisms to grow off the rock?
Sometimes this is just luck of the draw. Some folks get cool stuff and others don't. There will, more than likely, be some cool stuff on most LR, it just might not make it through shipping or the tank's cycle.
do they come "pre-planted" on the rock when you buy it?
If you are buying actual corals, then yes.

I don't use a filter on my tank either, and when I did run one, it caused more headache than anything else. I would reccomend as well to save your money and not get a filter, that way you can invest it on a better skimmer. The Seaclones are pretty much bottom of the line, not really bad, but there are much better out there. ( I have a Seaclone now, and it's not very efficient...it does do its job though) I'd go with:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18489/si1379612/cl0/redseaprizmdeluxehangonskimmer

or

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...0/cl0/coralifesuperskimmerneedlewheel65gallon

Are you going to have a sump, or no?

Get plenty of liverock and water flow via powerheads, and that's all you need.

You can cycle your tank either with raw shimp, or uncured liverock, or both.

Ive never used the prizm,but it gets good reads.

The coralife is what I went with and I like it lot.

I looked around for about a month before deciding on a skimmer and the one thing that seemed clear early on was NOT to by the sea clone,but research it yourself before deciding.

I have to agree with SCFatz I have a 29gl tank with about 30lbs of lr tow penguins ph and a coralife super 65 skimmer it took almost two months for me to get it to opperate correctly but now I am getting about a 1/4 cup of gunk everyday with it, just a little bit of a pain to get it adjusted right but once adjusted it works great.

Well I got some pool filter sand. The other stuff was around 5-6 times more expensive. So I went with what I got. I got the sand in the tank and the water is running into it. And I am syphoning the dirty water off the sand out the window, I'll do this for a long time until the water is almost perfectly clear, then I am going to run the Diatom filter on it.

After I get the water clear like I want it, I am going to mix in about 11.5 lbs of instant ocean. Thats what I figured a 37 gallon tank needs.

After that I will hook up the skimmer that I got. I went ahead and just got the Seaclone from Petsmart.

I'll get back on in a little while and update my progress.

I use a sea clone on my ten gallon QT tank. I would not use it on any of the regular tanks I have had and personally wouldn't recommend it. The tank you have looks tall what are the dimensions? Lighting is a personal preference type deal as everyone has their own opinion. If you want corals then you want VHOs or Metal Halides. Then you also have to consider heat issues amongst other things. My tank was cycled with live rock, a skimmer, and a sump/refugium. No live fish in it until ready for fish. I have never had a filter on my tanks except for the skilter back when I first started and didn't know any better. Don't get me wrong the Skilter worked great but it goes back to personal preference. You mentioned that you weren't planning on putting fish in it for another month but my suggestion is no fish for a few months. Do some research before you even put water in the tank becasue I would hate for you to go through lots of fish and coral loss because your tank wasn't completely ready.

Okay well I got the sand, and put it in the tank, and cleaned the sand...got the water nice and clear...Got the skimmer up and running, turned on the heater...and put the hood back on...

Now...Am I ready to add salt to the water? Tomorrow I am going to go buy 2 powerheads and put them in the tank for current.

I'd like to add the salt now and then put my shrimp in to start the cycle.

What do you think?

------------

As for the do the research thing...I've been reading up on this for a long time. Ever since I got my first tank. I've talked to about 50 people either in person or online...

Thanks a lot for all the help guys, I love this forum. I'd be lost without it.

Here are a few pics of my progression of cleaning the gravel...I put them up backwards...but you get the idea.

Attachments

• dsc01267_164.jpg
    dsc01267_164.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 21
  • dsc01268_181.jpg
    dsc01268_181.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20
  • dsc01269_186.jpg
    dsc01269_186.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
  • dsc01270_118.jpg
    dsc01270_118.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • dsc01271_592.jpg
    dsc01271_592.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 29
Hey Speaker. Tank looks good so far. Go ahead and put the salt in. For anyone reading this thread however, its much easier to put water in the tank, then salt, then sand. Much easier to mix that way. IMO anyways. As soon as you get SG fine, I'd add in the shrimp and start the cycle kickin.

I agree with Devilishturtles. Salt, measure the SG and when it is just right, add the shrimp.
For future PWCs, I would suggest you premix your water, to get the temp/salinity/pH as close to your tank's as possible. This will also keep out any "extras" that are present in any salt mix....

Back
Top Bottom