Diatom Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EELectric

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently had posted about an orangey-rust colored algea that was beginning to take over my tank. I was told it was a diatom bloom and it would pass. The rust colored algea left and now I am left with a green algea that just explodes across the tank. Earlier this morning there was some green algea, but when I came home in the afternoon it covered the glass and rock. Is this still a diatom bloom? Thanks!

How old is this tank? It sounds like you're going through new tank syndrome. Do you have a cleanup crew?

2 years old, but I just got rid of an eel so I have no clean up crew and I added more live rock and other stuff because I just converted to a reef tank from a FOWLR.

Same as in earlier post. Excess nutrients are feeding it. PWC with good source water and a cleanup crew is the way you will have to fight it. Have you tested water lately?

Ah. Yeah a major tank conversion can force you back into new tank syndrome. Brenden has apparently been giving you good advice.

Thank You so for the help. I'm doing a water change today, and the only thing that tested high was the nitrates( i think I always get nitrites/nitrates confused). Thank you

Nitrite is more toxic than nitrate. Bacteria will break nitrite down into nitrate. High nitrates should go away with enough water changes.

High nitrates should go away with enough water changes.

That really depends on the source of your nitrates. you may still have an abundance of die-off on your LR that may not have been fully cured. With time, however, if this is he case your levels will drop as a larger bacterial colony establishes to cope with the excess nutrients from the LR.

Another thing is that you may be overfeeding your livestock which will constantly keep your nitrate levels high, not to mention phosphates too. Water changes will only help the situation if nothing is being done to cause these high levels to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom