Diatom Blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefsforme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. My 6 gallon Nano cube is almost going to be 1 month old. I have Nature's Ocean Reef Sand, and about 9 lbs. or so of Live Rock. The sand and live rock are starting to get diatom blooms, and even the walls of the aquarium are having them too!!! I am using a portein skimmer, and my lights are on 10 hours a day. Will the diatom bloom subside by itelf, or is there a way of controling it. Thanks!:BIG:

all new tanks go through this..

I had a crystal clear tank at first. After like 6 weeks had a major Diatom Bloom, followed by a nussiance Algae bloom. Now, my tank is crystal clear again and my algea is minimal.

I'd scale back on your lighting for a while until it's all gone.

A CUC is also a good idea. Once the cycle is finished they do a nice job keeping the glass and substrate nice and tidy.

I'm in the same boat and just added my cuc from liveaquaria.com (The Keep It Clean Caribbean Package). In 2 hours I already see the difference in my substrate. It's almost like clean skidmarks =)

They will starve out. Diatoms, thrive off of silicates and light. Don't be surprised if you get another one when you replace light bulbs or stir up the sand.

Back
Top Bottom