diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pokmijn

Aquarium Advice Freak
how long does diatom usually take for it to burn itself out in a new aquarium if take is maintain as schedule.

Could be weeks to months. Is this tank cycling? Are you using Tap water?

no the tank finish cycling about a month ago already i use ro/di water and readings for tank are:
sg - 1.024
amn - o
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0
phosphate - 0
i run lights 8 hrs a day but have recently changed it to 6 hrs a day lights are 4x24w t5ho on a 10g.

i only have two snail in there for the cuc how many more should i add since its such a small tank.

You might not actually have a cycle because if there has been no source of ammonia for a month the good bacteria might have died off. If I were you I would try adding SMALL amounts of ammonia and see what happens to your conditions over the next few days, if the ammonia rises but nothing else does then you will have to start your cycle over again. As for the diatom bloom I agree with melosu58, in that it can very. What will affect it is the grow of the good stuff in your tank, such as green algae and coraline.
Are you running carbon? What about phosphate remover? Anyways good luck and keep us posted!

sorry i wasn't clear but i have cycled the tank with lr and ls with a raw shrimp and after the cycled completed a month ago i already added two clown fish after tank finish cycled so i dont think there will be another cycle cause all my corals are doing great but i was just wondering how long before the diatoms burn out cause i dont remember them being around for this long when i had my 55g up.

oops ok sorry then yeah your cycle is alive and well! I have never had a problem with it to the point where I had to reduce the light periods (knock on wood) as I just recently moved from fresh to salt. Maybe you shouldn't be reducing the times though, because your corals will want to have as much light as possible, and you need light to grow good algae, so I would focus on that instead of killing off the diatom algae. Usually good algae outcompetes diatom algae so I would focus on that. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom