Diatoms...AGAIN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I recently removed my year old substrate (big aragonite) and switched to oolite (sugar size grain). Now I have what look to be diatoms. It says silicate free, so I was thinking I could be going through a mini cycle?

crister13 said:
Ok, so I recently removed my year old substrate (big aragonite) and switched to oolite (sugar size grain). Now I have what look to be diatoms. It says silicate free, so I was thinking I could be going through a mini cycle?

Test your perimeters to see if your having a mini cycle asap!

Just did a pwc so theres nothing I can really do, everyone seems to be doing fine. I havent checked params in so long. I just do weekly rodi changes of 35%, clean socks and feed every other day. Theres nothing I could do if trates were high lol. Thanks for the help tho!!!!!

crister13 said:
Just did a pwc so theres nothing I can really do, everyone seems to be doing fine. I havent checked params in so long. I just do weekly rodi changes of 35%, clean socks and feed every other day. Theres nothing I could do if trates were high lol. Thanks for the help tho!!!!!

Do you have a kit? If trates are high, you could definitly do more frequent PWC's, and monitor the tank. I would still test IMO

crister13 said:
YA LOLZ. May have to try that haha.

Haha! Well good luck. Are the fish showing signs of stress? How bad is the diatom bloom btw?

Not alot of diatoms. I do also have a very very thin layer of red slime which i assume is from getting rid of all of that bb in my old sand.

They eat the silica from your substrate, you add more substrate, they eat the silica from it then die off again.

Back
Top Bottom