Diatoms? Algae? Cyanobacteria? Idk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
needmorecowbell said:
The good thing is you don't actually need a reactor anymore! Theres chemipure elite which has gfo in it. They keep it from clumping by adding another type of chemical filtration in the bag, I forget what it is though. If you ever get cyano, that's one of the ways people get it to go away. I've never heard a bad thing about it and it's not that expensive considering it lasts 6 months.

Chemipure elite while a great product is not a replacement for GFO. But it will 'help' with a number of issues.

I just upgraded from a 90 with a Dsb up to a 160 and had to add sand o keep the Dsb that would cause the same sorta thing but it's getting bad what are the est ways to deal with this

Madreefer420 said:
I just upgraded from a 90 with a Dsb up to a 160 and had to add sand o keep the Dsb that would cause the same sorta thing but it's getting bad what are the est ways to deal with this

Would cause what? Sorry not following...

Madreefer420 said:
The same issue I have a diatom blom on my sand. Only been a couple of months since the upgrade

Ah well since you've added new sand diatoms are normal.

Schism said:
Chemipure elite while a great product is not a replacement for GFO. But it will 'help' with a number of issues.

+1, reactors are important in maintaining optimal water quality. Considering we are building an Eco system in a little box, I would say we need all the help we can get (ex. Reactors)

needmorecowbell said:
Is there granular ferric oxide in the ocean?

Theres not chemipure either. But the reason we use these is products to replicate ocean parameters in a tank.

Schism said:
Theres not chemipure either. But the reason we use these is products to replicate ocean parameters in a tank.

My point wasn't that it isn't in the ocean so we shouldn't use it, that would be a little ridiculous.
It was that you can't compare the two whatsoever. Were truly not trying to duplicate nature, we're trying to jam our tanks with colorful things that are amazing to us. That's not a bad thing at all, but they can't be compared. I do understand that reactors are great to have, but
to say that they are necessary for a tank to have an ecosystem.. No way. What is the difference between the gfo in a reactor and the gfo in chemipure? I'd say less, Theres no difference in actual chemistry. Chemipure has the gfo mixed in with other things to prevent it from clumping. What do people do that run reactors? They add carbon to keep it from clumping, therefore prolonging the time you can use it. If you put chemipure in a reactor, I think it might even be more effective than gfo. The only difference is there is less.

needmorecowbell said:
My point wasn't that it isn't in the ocean so we shouldn't use it, that would be a little ridiculous.
It was that you can't compare the two whatsoever. Were truly not trying to duplicate nature, we're trying to jam our tanks with colorful things that are amazing to us. That's not a bad thing at all, but they can't be compared. I do understand that reactors are great to have, but
to say that they are necessary for a tank to have an ecosystem.. No way. What is the difference between the gfo in a reactor and the gfo in chemipure? I'd say less, Theres no difference in actual chemistry. Chemipure has the gfo mixed in with other things to prevent it from clumping. What do people do that run reactors? They add carbon to keep it from clumping, therefore prolonging the time you can use it. If you put chemipure in a reactor, I think it might even be more effective than gfo. The only difference is there is less.

I never stated a reactor was necessary. I simply said chemipure is not a replacement for GFO. Gfo is far more efficient at removing phosphates than chemipure and they each have their place but neither one will do the job of the other.

needmorecowbell said:

True but reactors are more effective and consistent which will help keep things more measurable and save you money since its more efficient on the media being used. Imo the benefit of one is worth the initial cost, especially if you can find a used one on CL or something which jerry still got one more brs reactor with mj 1200 for $40 Adam :) just something to think about lol

Schism said:
I never stated a reactor was necessary. I simply said chemipure is not a replacement for GFO. Gfo is far more efficient at removing phosphates than chemipure and they each have their place but neither one will do the job of the other.

Sorry, I read the post wrong, I was talking about the post I originally quoted where I said is it in the ocean. I dont know all of chemipure's ingredients so I wouldn't really be able to argue that.

Mrc8858 said:
True but reactors are more effective and consistent which will help keep things more measurable and save you money since its more efficient on the media being used. Imo the benefit of one is worth the initial cost, especially if you can find a used one on CL or something which jerry still got one more brs reactor with mj 1200 for $40 Adam :) just something to think about lol

Yeah, your right.. And im really hoping I can go, but if I go, I'm going with way more than 40$, gotta get some corals while in there ;)

Back
Top Bottom