Diatoms? Algae? Cyanobacteria? Idk.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've noticed that towards the front of my tank, my sand is turning a brownish color. My tank is 6 months old now so I don't think It could be diatoms unless they could reoccur? It doesn't look like cyano nor algae. I took a picture of it. The iPod quality makes it look like darker brownish color but in person it's light brown. The rest of my sand bed is white so don't know why it's just this spot and what it might be.

image-447303658.jpg

Looks like diatoms..have you added anything recently or changed feeding schedule

Looks like diatoms to me as well.

And change of sand? If Silica remains buried in the sand bed diatoms can reappear if the sand was disturbed.

Still not very uncommon for 6 months.

Yeah it looked like diatoms to me also. My feeding schedule is the same. Haven't changed anything.

Then I'd say its just the last of built up nutrients in your sandbed being consumed. My tank is about 8-9 months old and just seen a small diatom outbreak which I kinda blame on myself cause I disturbed the sandbed and added a new arch way of lace rock. Just make sure you stay on top of you maintenance and it'll be gone in no time :)

Yeah, hopefully it's just not early cyanobacteria.

Early cyano buildup is easy to detect. You would see clumping in the sand, it would be like the sand is starting to rise around the algae location. Followed by a red tint as we all know and hate.

I agree with the diatom as well. Silicate is funny like that.

Readingexcalibur said:
Early cyano buildup is easy to detect. You would see clumping in the sand, it would be like the sand is starting to rise around the algae location. Followed by a red tint as we all know and hate.

I agree with the diatom as well. Silicate is funny like that.

I could see little clumps on top of the sand but it's all brown looking.

IMO, I would wait to see if it turns pink. Otherwise, based one the pic, it looks like diatom. Just keep pristine water quality, and I am sure it will clear up. :)

Readingexcalibur said:
IMO, I would wait to see if it turns pink. Otherwise, based one the pic, it looks like diatom. Just keep pristine water quality, and I am sure it will clear up. :)

Thanks for the advice! And I'll make sure to keep up the water changes

Jake337 said:
Thanks for the advice! And I'll make sure to keep up the water changes

Cyano can also be light brown and almost black up the waterflow on it see what happens diatoms are at the beginning of cycle when you add new stuff you start a new mini cycle but if you havn added anything then i doubt its diatoms diatoms usually brown spots circles

danbstrong said:
Cyano can also be light brown and almost black up the waterflow on it see what happens diatoms are at the beginning of cycle when you add new stuff you start a new mini cycle but if you havn added anything then i doubt its diatoms diatoms usually brown spots circles

This is not completely correct. First, adding new "stuff" will not recycle a tank, unless you intend on doubling your capable bio load. The intention of cycling a tank is to create the BB needed in-order to not recycle when new stock is added. (Enouph bacteria to break ammonia into nitrite into nitrate)

Secondly, diatoms is an algae that focuses on and only on silicates in the water. Most sand has some sort of silicate in it, and will slowly be polished off by the diatom when starting out a tank or moving the sand-bed exposing new silica.

I believe the OP will see resolve with his issue over time. Weather diatom or cyano, it will disappear with good water quality (when the food source is gone).

Readingexcalibur said:
This is not completely correct. First, adding new "stuff" will not recycle a tank, unless you intend on doubling your capable bio load. The intention of cycling a tank is to create the BB needed in-order to not recycle when new stock is added. (Enouph bacteria to break ammonia into nitrite into nitrate)

Secondly, diatoms is an algae that focuses on and only on silicates in the water. Most sand has some sort of silicate in it, and will slowly be polished off by the diatom when starting out a tank or moving the sand-bed exposing new silica.

I believe the OP will see resolve with his issue over time. Weather diatom or cyano, it will disappear with good water quality (when the food source is gone).

If you add new rock or sand yes a mini cycle will start and diatoms do not only feed on silicates lol

I can tell we won't meet an agreement here, but ask kids isn't really a source I would go by. This post on pet place was written by another Aquarium Advice member and seems to be the solution to diatom problems. (understand its not an accredited source)

http://www.petplace.com/fish/how-to-fight-those-darn-diatoms-algae/page1.aspx

I would also consider reviewing the basics to a cycle. The only caveat to recycling is using LS or LR that has been subject mass amounts of die off. Is this what you are taking about?

OP, good luck with your issue, you have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips. I'm sure you'll find your solution.

Readingexcalibur said:
I can tell we won't meet an agreement here, but ask kids isn't really a source I would go by. This post on pet place was written by another Aquarium Advice member and seems to be the solution to diatom problems. (understand its not an accredited source)

I would also consider reviewing the basics to a cycle. The only caveat to recycling is using LS or LR that has been subject mass amounts of die off. Is this what you are taking about?

OP, good luck with your issue, you have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips. I'm sure you'll find your solution.
Thats my fault i shoild have been more clear yes when you add new sand or rock imo most of the time you will have dieoff because of the water parimeters will be different therefor causeing a minicycle not a whole recycling of the tank but enough to spike ammonia causing a whole ordeal seen it many times and its my understanding that diatoms are photosythetic therefore creating its own food ive heard many people reccommend cutting back lights for this reason but i keep my aquarium on point no algae in 3 years i think proper maintenance will keep all nusence algae at bay

Readingexcalibur said:

Thank you! And yeah I haven't added no new rock or sand into the tank. Just a normal day that I woke up to and noticed brown specs on one area of my sand bed. Might just be a phosphate/water issue? I'll do my normal wc and see what happens.

Have you considered a phosban reactor? Not saying you ultimately need one, but the phosban 150 runs about 40$ or 60 with a pump. Could take care of any future potential issues. Bulk reef supply has pretty cheap GFO.

Readingexcalibur said:
Have you considered a phosban reactor? Not saying you ultimately need one, but the phosban 150 runs about 40$ or 60 with a pump. Could take care of any future potential issues. Bulk reef supply has pretty cheap GFO.

Yeah, I've heard of and seen one before but chose not to get one.

The good thing is you don't actually need a reactor anymore! Theres chemipure elite which has gfo in it. They keep it from clumping by adding another type of chemical filtration in the bag, I forget what it is though. If you ever get cyano, that's one of the ways people get it to go away. I've never heard a bad thing about it and it's not that expensive considering it lasts 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom