Diatoms? How do I get rid of them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrew1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is about 2 months old. What I believe are diatoms, I'm getting everywhere. How would I get rid of them? I read that this is relatively normal for newer tanks but man this stuff is not very pleasing to the eye.

90 gallon tank with about 100 pounds of rock. 30 was live and the rest was dry 2 months ago.

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrates
0.25 phosphates
1.024 salinity

I did fill up using tap water with conditioner but done several water changes with ro/di from lps

Any help is greatly appreciated.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406828521.909868.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All new tanks get the diatoms. One solution is to blow them off the rock with a turkey baster and let your filtration get them . You can suck them out during a water change. They feed of silicates so until your tanks are consumed they'll hang around but the good news is they usually consume them all in about a couple of months and then just dissapear. Until that happens manual removal is the best and there may be some creatures ( I think urchins) that eat them but not many do because it's not really algae.

All new tanks get the diatoms. One solution is to blow them off the rock with a turkey baster and let your filtration get them . You can suck them out during a water change. They feed of silicates so until your tanks are consumed they'll hang around but the good news is they usually consume them all in about a couple of months and then just dissapear. Until that happens manual removal is the best and there may be some creatures ( I think urchins) that eat them but not many do because it's not really algae.

I'll definitely try the turkey baster. Thanks a lot really appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom