Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Difficult Algae to clean

Hi all,

For years I have had a 450 gallon FOWLR acrylic tank. As you can imagine, this is a very large surface area to keep clean. I was using a Mag Float rated for my 3/4" thick acrylic. This worked fine for a long time. I more recently have a much more stubborn algae that would not come off with the magnet. I had to go in with a hand scrubber and this was brutal.

My only idea here is that this is more of a calcareous algae since I have raised my Ca+ levels in recent past in an effort to promote corraline growth. I'm also considering adding some beginner corals which is why I have raised the Ca+ levels.

I just got a new Mag Float Professional magnet that is rated for tanks starting at 1.5" thickness and even that magnet is not easily removing the algae. With many back and forths around a circle it eventually comes off. This is not easy but it's better than using a hand brush.

So, just looking for thoughts from everyone. Am I on to something regarding the Ca+ levels causing a more difficult algae to form?

One last thing, the snails in the tank are able to eat this algae. You can see their classic markings from eating all of the place.

Thanks!
Pete R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Difficult Algae.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	304765  

Old 11-03-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Usually, calcium based algaes will not come off with the magnetic scrubbers of any kind and require one with an actual blade of some sort on them. At one point or another we all end up getting this algae growing. It can be a pain, but if you get it scraped off it is easier to manage with daily use of the scrubber.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

does your mag float have the scraper attachment they sell 2 types 1 for glass and 1 for acrylic , the scraper attachment makes life so much easier
the tougher algae sounds like coraline on the glass/acrylic I get that on my glass constantly.
depending what your stock is a pair of urchins will eat it off in no time
Old 11-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I didn't know they made a scrapper attachment for acrylic. I'll look into this.

1x Dolphin AS2100
1x Dolphin AM4700
72" Aqualight Pro: 4x96 Actinic, 3x150 HQI Halides, 4x1 moonlights
AquaC EV-1000 Protein Skimmer run by Dolphin AS2100
AquaUV 114 watt UV Sterilizer
2x Jager 250w
...Work in progess.....
peterac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

it's a hard plastic blade instead of the stainless steel

Tags
algae, clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com