Digging Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty27

Aquarium Advice Activist
My orangespot goby (who I just added to my aquarium!) found a new home...under my brain coral! He's been digging out a nice hole right under the brain. Do you think this could aggitate the brain?

Figured so, especially when I had to blow sand off the coral as a result of the goby's burrowing. I tried "evicting" him by flattening out his little hole under the brain, he went right back to digging it back out.

Any suggestions?

I would take him out of the tank, move the brain, dig a little hole out under a rock near where he was digging under the brain, and put him back into the tank near the new hole you dug.

You could try and put something under the brain, so the goby can not dig under him.

Cut a small length (nearly the depth of your sand bed) of pvc to put under it. I never was a fan of corals directly on the sand bed - prolly 'cause I keep pistol shrimps too.

salty27 said:
Figured so, especially when I had to blow sand off the coral as a result of the goby's burrowing.

This sand that he is dropping onto the brain coral is what is irritating the brain coral. Not so much burrowing under him. The sand irritates the flesh of the brain. They need to stay on the substrate though. They do much better there.

Thanks everyone...I tried moving the brain, but the goby just followed it to it's new location and started digging again. I guess I'll let him have his home, and keep the sand off the flesh of the brain.

Back
Top Bottom