Digital Salinity Meter vs Floating Arm Hydrometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I have a floating arm Hydrometer, and a Digital Salinity meter. I use to have a refractometer but it broke.

The Digital Meter says my tank is at 1.023 SG, the Floating arm Hydrometer says it is at 1.029 SG.

Which one do I believe? The digital Meter says its more accurate than refractometer's. But how do i know? The meter comes with a 30ppt calibration solution, and the meter shows 30ppt when put into the calibration solution.

Thanks,

-TheChad

That probably sounds about right. The difference between my refracto and hydro was .050. Check your hydro by using distilled water, at room temp and see where 0 is. Those hydros tend to swing with the current and a whole bunch of other variables.

roka64 said:
That probably sounds about right. The difference between my refracto and hydro was .050. Check your hydro by using distilled water, at room temp and see where 0 is. Those hydros tend to swing with the current and a whole bunch of other variables.

What really makes me think is that If i remember correctly my old refractometer and hydrometer, where very close in their readings.

Distilled water, is that like RO/DI water?

With regular tap water, the hydrometer shows 0.00

So I should trust the Digital meter over the hydrometer?

Thanks,

-TheChad

I would trust the digital. IME, albeit short experience, hydrometers need to be rinsed and cleaned often to prevert errant readings. Plus teh arm can trap very small air bubbles, which will also give an errant message.

forget the probe I had a digi-lab it was so inaccurate that I got a hydrometer . I fount that it required frequent calibrations and alot of times it was still off ..... So much so that I got a second one and it too had the same issues . It was always off 2-3 points from the refracometer . There are refracometers that are on the market for less than the digi lab and more of a reliable source than either
this is the one we use and have found it quite accurate to other refracometers and I like it since it is easy to use

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=REFRACT-PA&Category_Code=Hydrometer

How do you really know it's accurate though?

That is my issue... No matter which device I have... How do i REALLY know its accurate?

With the hydrometer reading upward of 1.030 or higher, and the digital meter showing 1.023, What is the hydrometer is actually the one that's right? Then I could potentially kill my fish...

This is my problem. I need to figure out how to find out what is really right, so i can make sure my tank is good.

-TheChad

You know it is accurate by your calibration results. If you calibrate it to RO/DI or distilled or just plain RO water you will calibrate your refractometer to 1.000 which is the true salinity of FW. Once that is correct then your salinity will be right.

FWIW, I like my floating, bobber type hydrometer best for accuracy.

Yep. It's true.

Hydrometers can be accurate, IMO, but I wouldn't bet 100% on their accuracy unless they are calibrated against a refractometer. With a hydrometer, yeah, you just stick it in the tank. My hydrometer is actually fairly accurate as well when calibrated againt the refractometer. It doesn't always work out that well though.

Back
Top Bottom