Dimmers and timers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have a preferred method/equipment for your flourescent light dimming on and off? The shock to the critters has to be pretty rude when I shut off the lights at night and turn it on in the morning, although its fun to see the night creatures zoom back under the substrate and into the live rock. :wink: I'd like to have something that replicates natural day/night cycles a little better to keep the animals more comfortable. An auto dimmer with a timer type of thing. TIA, Erik

It has been my experience that to dim flourescents, you need a special fixture and control. It's not as simple as dimming incandescents...

At least, this is with NO bulbs. Not sure about PC's.

Slyvania and GE both make a line of dimmable NO ballasts, however, it would be difficult to automate the process.

instead, you should look to upgrading your lighting so each bulb or group of bulbs is on it's own timer ... that way you can start with two, then four then eight (or whatever) bulbs until you reach "noon" and then reverse.

hth

Thank you for your replies. I will look into both.
Hey I could distribute little sunglasses to all of the creatures just before the morning turn - on ... 8) Until I get it all set up!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom