dirty plastic plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiderman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 2 month old tank and the plastic plants have accumulated lots of gunk. should i clean it outside the aquarium? or should i clean it days after i have my scheduled 20% water change this weekend?

should i buy real plants - what kind should i get? will these be useful in the long-run?

thanks!

Yes, it's a SW tank. Do I clean it after I change the water 20% tomorrow? Or should I clean it a few days after so some beneficial bacteria remains in the tank?

You can go ahead and clean them when you do a water change. You may want to add more LR and look at live plants. Grape calupera are nice and help with biofiltration to.

hi lando,
won't it be risky to the fish if i add more live rock? i assume it should be cured? if ammonia levels spike, it might wipe out my system. i only have 4 fish and a bunch of inverts in a 25G tank. i have around 7.5 lbs of live rock....right now my ammonia and nitrites are 0, and nitrates around 12.5....
thanks for your help, man

It is not risky to add cured LR to your tank. Fully cured LR will not casue an amonia spike. If you order from liverocks.com, they say to not re-cure the rock, just put it in the tank. If you do this you may see a slight amonia spike but it should be short-lived. Just be prepared to do a water change if needed. I added 30 lbs to my 72 gal which already had about 90 lbs of LR in it and had no noticeable change in water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom