Dirty Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravior

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I went to the LFS last weekend and I am saddened that my tank looks like a septic tank compared to their system. I realize that they have huge systems and very expensive filters and people that work on it 40 hours a week but I think my tank should look better.

I don't know if it is a algae issue or lack of filter issue or what? Green algae grows on the sides of the tank and on the substrate.

It is a 29g. The tank is about 8-10 months old. I have 50 lbs of live rock which is very colorful and looks healthy. I have a Aqua C Remora skimmer that gets emptied every day. 2 power heads for flow. I do 5 gal water changes every other week (unfortunately not with RO water). I also scrape the sides from the green algae every weekend. PowerCompact lights are on 14 hours a day.

All the water measurements are 0 except nitrate at 40 (and i cant get it down for some reason).

Bio load includes 2 clown, 3 damsels, gobey and turbo snails, hermit crabs, and a shrimp.

So with all those stats, do I need another filter (carbon based)? Should I invest in RO water? What would help me most improve the look of the tank? Thanks.

Definitely the RO water.. its the nutrients in your tap water that are feeding the algae.

You could also try reducing the photo period by a few hours.

EDIT: GAC will polish up the water and make that look nicer.

definetly switch to RO water. I just go to the grocery and fill up jugs with theirs. Also cut the lighting back to 12 hrs a day.

I just figured out my LFS has RO water for 23 cents a gal. Got a walmart 6 gal water jug for about 5 bucks. I figure it is cheaper than a unit (just gotta do some running back and forth)

test your freshly mixed (24 hr old) water for nitrate. If you are not using ro water it may be at 30-40. If it is then it is time to change your water source.

Thanks for the advice.

I will go looking for some RO water this weekend. Hopefully that does the trick.
I did try measuring the city water for nitrate but it read to be 0.

I'm also going to try cutting back on the feeding too.

Back
Top Bottom