Disappearing Hermits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I looked in my tank and I noticed some of my hermits (dwarf red tip, etc) have been mutilated. They are left shell-less (shell gone) and torn to pieces. My livestock thus far is: Ocellaris Clown, Fire gobie, bi-color angel, lawnmower blennie, brittle star, arrow crab, various snails, and the forementioned hermits.

Does this sound like a war of the hermits for shells? I dont think any of the species I have would eat, much less mutilate, my hermits. The only one I kind of suspect is the arrow crab, because he has the equipment to do it.

-Brian

Of the livestock you listed, I would suspect the arrow crab and the other hermits. You might want to go to the store and grab some shells and throw them in your tank.

Would a mantis shrimp just rip them apart and take the shells? The hermits are not being consumed, just torn in half and "robbed." I think its a hermit war.

Oh, are there any other signs of having a mantis shrimp, besides the clicking and disappearing livestock?

mrpope said:
Oh, are there any other signs of having a mantis shrimp, besides the clicking and disappearing livestock?

Look for small holes or broken pieces in the shells.

I want to suggest to you the possibility that the crabs may be molting and are simply hiding, or have taken to another shell. Every once in a while, I will see what appears to be a crab carcass floating around the bottom of my SB. In fact, it is simply the exoskeleton of a crab that just molted.

I was going to say that, but I figured that the empty shells were a reason to disregard that possibility. I may be in the minority, but I only have the shells that my hermits came in, so for me an empty shell is a dead hermit. What about you, mrpope?

Good point Biggen, I never even thought of that. They could just be molting.
Oh, Gauge, I too only have the shells the hermits came in. They have stolen snail shells in the past, and if I was a hermit I would rather take one of those margarita snail shell rather than taking basically the same shell from another hermit.

just as a side note, i've heard that if u have a green brittle star and he gets to be of pretty good size, they will also prey on small inverts, just for future reference

I have noticed the same thing in my tank, mutilated hermits lying on the bottom with out a shell.... and I have noticed small holes in the shells of my surviving hermits, could this be a mantis? I have not heard any clicking or anything, nor have I seen any other evidece of mantis. Could the small holes in the shells just from the crabs living in the shell and the shell deteriorating?

Back
Top Bottom