Disgusting Sump.... Should I care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goisles1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey.. I've got a 20G Long sump under my 45G DT. The Sump is divided approx 70/30. The 70% side is a Fuge.
My DT water is pristine.. All my numbers are spot on and the water is as clear as glass. All Inhabitants are thriving (Livestock and Corals)

Now the issue... My Sump is DISGUSTING!!! It's LOADED with Red Hair Algea and the glass is a mess. I'm lighting the sump for 10hours a day (opposite when the DT lights are on) and I've got 2 CF Bulbs (spiral ones from HomeDepot). I think they are like 5500k. When I do my weekly(bi-weekly) PWC's, I try to suck up as much as I can from the fuge, but it's out of control.

Should I care?

BTW - I do NOT have any CUC down in the sump

Just my opinion but I would separate the fuge from the sump with some sort of light barrier. 10 hours is also a long time to leave those lights on.

If it aint broke don't fix it....My sump is a site for sore eyes too. I do all my water changes out of the sump and I have not even had to clean my DT glass now for just under two months.

I would leave like it is. I have a 40 gallon sump. Not the prettiest thing like you was explaining but it`s hidden and if I was to have algea I`d rather have it in the hidden area than in the DT. It`s eating up excessive nutrients while it`s down there.

ok.. i figured.. it's not like a centerpiece or anyhting.. Searching the web, you see all these fuges with beautiful mangroves growing and stuff liek that.. Mine is just a mess... But my DT is quite lovely :)

Back
Top Bottom