Diy live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I apologize in advance if this thread is misplaced. I have just made roughly 30-40 lbs of live rock I and it is now in leaching pales. The only type of Portland cement I could find was the type one which is dark gray. Is the coloration going to effect the curing of the rock or function of the tank regarding light absorption/refraction? The rock looks pretty good and is extremely porous.

Not that I know of, it just doesnt look as good. I did this by the way a couple years ago using the same cement and I did weekly water changes and testing. After 3 months it was still not cured. There is also another guy on here that did the same thing and actually put his in the ocean for about two months and still had problems. Its a little late now but I always recommend just buying live rock off of craigslist. You can find it for $1/lb and its ready for your tank the next day.

Really doesnt matter because its just the cement portion that leaches and effects the pH. That said, I used type 1 portland, course salt, oyster shell, and aragonite sand.

I used the 3,2,1 ratio with a little less cement. I think the rock needs to be cured in freshwater and water changes performed daily.

I wish you the best of luck. Im just saying be careful. I cured mine in fresh water and had problems after 3 months. And the guy that did his in the ocean basically had a water change done every second and had problems after 2 months.

Appreciate it. Maybe too good to be true. Now I have already invested money into the rock and I don't have any yet. I'll give the DIY a little time.

I used the 3,2,1 ratio with a little less cement. I think the rock needs to be cured in freshwater and water changes performed daily.
I made some about a year ago. I put the pieces in the back part of my toilet for 2 months, and I've had no issues with it. I found this much easier than doing water changes every day.

My pieces are a little too big for that but that is a great idea. I actually just put them in the tank they are going in anyway and put a power head in too. The rock seems to be leaching just fine and will hopefully be done in a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom