DIY Sump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading about Sumps and thinking about adding one to my 50 gal FOWLR system. Unfortunately it's a glass aquarium and doesn't have an overflow system built in. What is the best way to get water from the main tank into the sump; should I use a powerhead in the aquarium or build one into the sump to get water from the main tank? Also what is a good size sump for a 50 gal; will 10 gal do or should i go with 15-20? Tanks!!

Check on an Overflow.. http://marinedepot.com/a_of.asp?CartId= Its a real good way to get the water from your tank to your sump.. Your also going to want a return pump and marinedepot also has an aqualifter that you should invest in for your overflow..

HTH,
James

Ok, didn't know they had those for glass aquariums. So when the water level rises, it will drain from the main tank into the sump, but what will cause the return pump to start and pump water back from the sump? How will the return pump 'know' when to go on and start pumping water back...am I missing something here? :|

the return pump is always rinning.. What oyu want to do is have the overflow primmed and water in the sump.. when the water is at the high you want it in the main tank and you turn on the return pump its going to fill the tank even more and the overflow will start draining it back to the main tank..

Instructions for a typical overflow
http://www.cpraquatic.com/support/sup-cs90.html

As well as a typical wet/dry AKA sump without the media
http://www.cpraquatic.com/support/sup-cr900.html

HTH,
James

BTW if you get the overflow make sure you get the aqua lifter pump that should be listed on the same page as the overflows.. It however is not needed but recommended

I guess what I was thinking was that if the return pump is always running and there is no overflow occurring in the main tank (no water going to the sump), the return pump would keep working until the sump is drained completely (this sounds like a bad thing :? ) I guess I gotta experiment.

Your sump is going to hold more water.. So there for when the pump is pumping water into the main tank therefor is there was no overflow in the tank it would flood your house.. However the overflow will drain it back into the sump as fast as the pump pumps it into the tank there for making a circle...

Just think your tank is full now.. you add a sump that has so called 10gals in it.. if you add that 10 gals to the tank it would overflow.. so if you add an overflow it would all go into there... the return pump would then take the water that is draining from the main tank and put it back.. your water level in the main tank is always going to stay the same but the sump would get lower.. Therefor you add water to the sump for evaporation...

Hope that makes better sense,
James

the overflow you buy will probably be adjustable so you set so water is always flowing into your sump but you do have to keep your eye on evaporation in your sump. HTH

Back
Top Bottom