Do I have to do waterchanges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichEhrlich

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I add about 1 gal a day of ro water to keep my water levels constant but the salinity seems to not require adding salt. Can I just add nutrients to the water (when(?)) instead of make waterchanges?
I have had my tank about 1and a half months.
No problems yet.
I test for pH , nitrites, and all seems fine. :)

How are your nitrates? These are the main reason for the water change`s. Evaporation of water does not remove the pollutants.....

Water changes replenish minerals to the water. Even if all your levels appear to be good you should do routine water changes to keep your tank healthy.

Doing water changes is a way to lower nitrates, but it's not the only reason for doing a water change.

I do quick dip 5 in one test strip and have had the water tested at the local store. I have a tank below with bio filters and that bacteria light and a protein skimmer.
I guess no one make a packet of magnesium or what ever goes into the water for health seperate.

All essential elements are in the saltmix.. it's by far the easiest way to add them without having to buy test kits and additional suppliments.

Even if you don't think you need to do them for waste export, you should still be doing small changes to replenish those elements.

Not to toss a wrench into the works but...
I have done one water change in 6-7 months...
I top off and check my levels once a month and I guess I'm lucky is all... I top off once a week and reed every other day !

Why noy use a regular addition of B-ionic for the adding of essential nutrients? I am not trying to cause trouble just trying to get info since I am new to this stuff.

100gal
yellow tang
blue regal tang
niger trigger
6 stripe wrasse
moroon clown
bunches of snail and crabs
protein skimmer
bacteria lamp
feather duster
2 small bulb anenomes

I have had the tank since Jul 1st
I bought it on ebay that was already set up.

Back
Top Bottom