do i make a water change or not....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill302

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gallon reef tank 6 months old. Every Sunday I make a 5 gallon water change but for the last 3 weeks I test the water on Saturday and get 8.4 ph, 0 nitrites,0 nitrates, 0 phosphates...I really think I need to change my water changes to 5 gallons every 2 weeks do you agree????

Attachments

• 100_0654.jpg
    100_0654.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 110
Should be okay but if you have a reef tank other elements may get used up faster than you realize, calcium, magnesium, etc

I test for calcium,mg. and alkalinity too I can keep them in range with supplements if needed...calcium is at 480 and mg. 1400, alkalinity 10dkh...thanks.

Sorry but I just have to ask is there any ammonia and on the nitrate test are you shaking bottle number 2 for 30+ seconds and then the vial for 60 seconds and letting it sit for another 60 seconds?

It is the trace elements that get depleted, thats why you do a water change, if you change your oil at 3000 miles but you look at it and think it looks clean, do you not change it, the protective elements of oil break down due to heat, the same as your trace elements break down, also note API test kits are notorious unreliable.

ph will fluctuate daily, what do you have in the tank that will determine if you need water changes. if you have lots of sp they need the trace as it uses it up fairly quickly, lps and softies not so much

It is the trace elements that get depleted, thats why you do a water change, if you change your oil at 3000 miles but you look at it and think it looks clean, do you not change it, the protective elements of oil break down due to heat, the same as your trace elements break down, also note API test kits are notorious unreliable.

Strange comparison lol. Ps if you change every 3000 your wasting money, unless you're racing your car off road through dirt storms with the engine red lined... ah but thats WAY off topic.

Strange comparison lol. Ps if you change every 3000 your wasting money, unless you're racing your car off road through dirt storms with the engine red lined... ah but thats WAY off topic.

Not really cause most oils only last barley more than 3000miles. Unless you go fully synthetic and get an extended life oil and filter.

Sorry but I just have to ask is there any ammonia and on the nitrate test are you shaking bottle number 2 for 30+ seconds and then the vial for 60 seconds and letting it sit for another 60 seconds?
no ammonia and yes on nitrate test but last step is let it sit 5 minutes... not 60 seconds.

Back
Top Bottom