DO I NEED A NEW HEATER ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OceanMist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 250w heater running at one end of my 32g tank, it is really unreliable and do not trust it at all - its been from 68 - 90*F in a few days - my fish are okay but it keeps doing this and i do not trust it - it won't keep a constant temp. is the heater too small for the tank??, should i buy another for the other end asap ??, please reply soon, tia

If I were you I would buy another one, saltwater is a very good conductor of electricity and you'll never know what can happen as far as accidents go. It is recommended that you choose a heather with 2 to 3 watts per gallon of water. So it sounds like your 250w might be too big for your tank. Hope that helps. :D

According to my book if you use the max (3w per gallon) then for your 32gal you'll need around 96w heather. Usually on the packages for heathers it also tells you which one to use depeding on the tank size :D

i am running 2x100w ebo jagers in a 42-net-gallon system and that works fine so i dont think its too much. i would just get a new heater, and an ebo at that.
also, average room temp in my house is around 60 or so, not 70.

HTH

has the heater been running this whole time? Cuz I tell you, I haven't been running the A/C yet, and yesterday after work my tank was 85degrees, due to the lighting...not the heater.
When in doubt, unplug the heater in the morning, and if the tank is 90 degrees at 5pm, it's not the heater.

if it is the heater, i'd go with a visi-therm or ebo-jager. I don't trust much else.

Hello,, I had some problems with my getting to hot in my 30 gallon salt tank. I ended up getting a timer and setting it to be on for 3 hours then off for three hours. This seems to work fine but I am affraid in the summer I will trouble with over heating. I don't wanna get a chiller LOL.

Jeff

try running a fan for the lights (and over the water). thats what ive seen many folks do in the summer. put it on a timer so it runs for daylight hours plus an hour after daylight to cool off.
i am fortunate enough to live in a very cool northpacific coastal area, but i can get away with opening a window in the summer.
and what are we gonna do about global warming? then the natural reefs will bleach :'(

Back
Top Bottom