Do I need light in sump if I keep my chaeto up top in my overflow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardridge

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do I need light in sump if I keep my chaeto up top in my overflow?

I wouldn't keep it in the overflow it could cause a block and a flood. Just keep it in a fuge underneath with a small cfl

I have live rock in overflow so don't thk it can get sucked up but never thought of that may move it thx

Hardridge said:
I have live rock in overflow so don't thk it can get sucked up but never thought of that may move it thx

Id put it in sump with 24 hour lighting

Hardridge said:
Ok is one par 38 bulb enough

Yes it dont take much i have like 18w flouresent on mine im sure tho the more light faster itll grow

I personally wouldnt do 24 hour lighting with chaeto. I'd do it with caulerpa, but not chaeto. The way I understand it, the chaeto only absorbs nutrients when the lights are off. Do 24 hour lighting with caulerpa to keep it from spawning asexually

cashmoney6980 said:
I personally wouldnt do 24 hour lighting with chaeto. I'd do it with caulerpa, but not chaeto. The way I understand it, the chaeto only absorbs nutrients when the lights are off. Do 24 hour lighting with caulerpa to keep it from spawning asexually

Thats backwards. most caulerpa will go sexual unless you use a 12 hour lighting schedule. When I ran cheato I had it under both 12 and 24 hour lighting. It did great under 24. It fizzled under 12.

Sniperhank said:
Thats backwards. most caulerpa will go sexual unless you use a 12 hour lighting schedule. When I ran cheato I had it under both 12 and 24 hour lighting. It did great under 24. It fizzled under 12.

Chaeto light 24/7 for five years now started with golfball piece that i had gottin free i harvested so much i couldv filled a garbage can by now i have heard of people doin fuge lights on when dt is off but mines 24/7 chaeto does not go assexual thats why its the choice macro for most aquariusts

All I use is flood lights for my cheato and it grows like crazy I have my lights on for 12 hours and it's fine. It's what you think is best.

What about halimedia and shaving brush. Those are ok on a light cycle right

I've had halimeda in my DT for years and of course it's on a light cycle. Never had probs with it. I've never had shaving brush, so don't know first-hand. But I haven't read issues with shaving brush being on a light cycle. Both are excellent macro algae though. They need good calcium levels and are intolerant to excessive nitrates and phosphates, so if they are doing well in your tank, it sounds like your water parameters are doing good.

I have chaeto in my sump. During the day, I have a 60 watt light on it and at night I have a bug light on it with a dimmer. It grows pretty good with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom