Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do i need to cure life rock

i have a cycled 10g tank i got two life rocks from a friend he had them sitting in his tank for about four years no water just sitting on rock hard sand ive had them for one day sitting in a bucket for salt water and ive been adding beneficial bacteria is it safe to just add them in my tank? they also have what appears to be worms or something small white and round
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C6B0EE7E-0C49-438D-A57D-08EB9EE02CFA.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	322525  

Old 12-21-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is your tank already running and established? If so, I would not add that rock in til itís cured externally, since there will be a fair amount of die off that will cause an ammonia spike. Also need to be aware that it may have some dormant pests that can hitchhike into your tank.
Old 12-21-2021, 11:24 PM   #3

yes the tank is cycled however its still a new tank about a month and a half old
also what are some ways i can cure it i did a water test in the bucket and had no ammonia granted its only been two days but it stinks like dead fish
Old 12-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfa96 View Post
yes the tank is cycled however its still a new tank about a month and a half old

also what are some ways i can cure it i did a water test in the bucket and had no ammonia granted its only been two days but it stinks like dead fish

Going to take a while like a normal cycle but it will process everything. Keep testing once a week and when ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and youíre getting a nitrate reading youíre good.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Do i need to cure life rock

Theyíve been sitting for 4 years out of the water? Did he ever clean them? Or just left them with all the dead stuff still on there? Nothing will be alive on them if so. Iíd just cure them in saltwater and scrub daily testing ammonia and nitrite in the bucket.

Is there anything alive in your tank?
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:05 PM   #6

Hi yes he just had them sitting out in the tank for the time he was in college and i have a fully cycled tank with a clownfish a goby emerald crab and a snail

Tags
cure, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com