Do I need to feed this stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fualku

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is about done cycling with all of my live rock. Things are looking pretty good and i dont want to loose anything. I have a few things in my tank that i don't know if they need special attention. I don't plan i getting any fish for a while. Is there anything i should do other than bi-weekly water changes. I'm also getting some alk/cal sup.

1 is a feather duster, 2 may be some type of zoo, 3 looks like a anemone of some kind maybe a flower anemone? not 100% on 2 or 3. 2 is hard to make out.
Feather dusters are filter feeders.... I would add some phytoplankton for it. If you have a SB it is good for that also... how about a full tank shot..

You got that LR from liverocks.com, didn't you? I did recently and I have all the same stuff. That anemone looks like aiptasia. It spread quite fast on me and I've been trying to kill them all.
It's been 3 weeks now and the only thing I've added is a tiny amount of Cyclop-eeze about once a week (other than weekly water changes). Everything seems to be doing very well so far.

I agree with seaham, number 2 looks like polyps, they get most of their nutrition by photosynthesis (Light Energy) but they will eat cyclopeeze :D Number 3 looks like a flower anemone, or maybe an aiptasia, im leaning towars aiptasia, which is a pest anemone, it has a very powerful sting, and will over populate corals, and kill them as well as fish if touched by the anemone. 1 is definately feather duster, they also like cyclopeeze. HTH

I have the same anemone from my rock. Its not your basic glass anemone, but another type of "pest' anemone. I did get a few glass ones which my peppermint shrimp took care of.
The anemone pictured has not hurt a thing or spread and its been 3 months. I killed 2 off and kept on to see what it will do.
I'm watching it close, but so far so good. Little too big for my peppermint shrimp to eat. :lol:
I'm not suggesting keeping it, by all means zap it. I just wanted to watch one for a while.

I don't think i can bring myself to getting rid of him just yet. I did notice i have probably three other much smaller ones. I looked around for Cyclop-eeze and i saw some freeze dried. I also saw some DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton. Will a protien skimmer remove this quickly or should i not really worry about it and just dose every week? I also noticed some pretty cool looking light purple stuff! Must be some kind of coral.

No 1 is for sure a feather duster. Number two looks more like the skeleton of a small LSP coral, perhaps a sun coral colony at one time. pretty common on LR from the keys, Gulf and Carribean. No. three is a pest anenome. They can spread pretty quickly so you may want to get rid of it.

Number two looks more like the skeleton of a small LSP coral, perhaps a sun coral colony at one time.
If you look to the ones on the right, you can see their little yellow center, I believe those would be zoo's

I still think tye look like LPS skeletons. Faulku...is that little colony shown in pic 2 hard or does it feel soft and mushy?

Great pic, it helps out a lot. That is definantly the skeleton of a LSP coral. I think it is Phyllangia americana (hidden cup coral). I got a ton of it on the Caribean LR Iget from the LFS. I just bought an orange cup coral, or orange sun coral (Tubastrae faulkneri) a couple of weeks ago. There is a pic in my gallery if you wanted to know what yours use to look like. Mine is of a different genus, but within the same family. so they would look similar. QuarryShark is right...LR is WAY cool! :lol:

You speak as if it were dead. Mine has feelers that come out when the lights come on or when I put cyclop-eeze in the water. They've also been growing.

I als have a couple that put out clear feelers at night. I looks like some in the pic are pretty bleeched. Not to say some may still be alive.

lando said:
I still think tye look like LPS skeletons. Faulku...is that little colony shown in pic 2 hard or does it feel soft and mushy?

It is soft, Some of them open and close up a little.

Back
Top Bottom