Do I still have copepods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwan

Aquarium Advice Freak
It has been a while since I seen any copepods in my tank. I remember they used to show up like dots clinging onto the glass of my tank. But I haven't seen them for many months, so was wondering if they could have all died.

And I also used to see a lot of tiny shrimp like frys that has glowing eyes when shined with a touch at night. Again, I haven't seen them anyone. However, I have seen many amphipods though. So is there anything wrong with my tank? BTW, I don't have any fish that feeds on pods.

Well I assume they don't eat pods, such as yellow tang, clarkii clown, maroon clown, purple firefish, a couple of damsels.

Everything that can fit a pod in it's mouth without missing it eat pods (as far as I know)...LOL.

It's not absolutely necessary to have them for the fish you have. It does become important for other fish like mandarin and psychodelic gobies who's survival rely on a steady population of pods. One way to help boost the pod population is the use of a refugium.

But I thought pods plays a part in the filtration process. Or have I got it wrong.

runway1...I wouldn't know if they eat live pods, but any scavenger small enough to find them would probably eat the dead ones.

kwan...Pods are part of the natural filtering process, which is why a refugium is best to cultivate a steady population.

Back
Top Bottom