Do some corals close when they have had enough light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering, I was reading somewhere that some corals tend to close during the day because they have had enough light to be happy and re open when they want more light. Would this be the reason for some of my corals closing during the day or do you think they close because they are unhappy? TIA.....

I`ve never heard of that. I know mine sometimes start closing when the lights are getting ready to go off. It`s like they are tired and ready to rest.

OK, I just read it and think that maybe I read it wrong. The only reason why I ask is that I moved my bubble coral from the top of the tank to the middle and it does not get as big as it once did. I was just wondering if it was because it is decreasing its size to accomodate a less amount of light or if it has adjusted to a better lighting system (lfs had reg flourscents, I have PC's).

Some corals don't tolerate bright light (shrooms, sun coral, etc) and bubble coral is one of them. It only require moderate light and little flow so anything more than that will result in poor expansion. HTH

it is decreasing its size to accomodate a less amount of light
Less light usually results in "over-expansion" of the tissue. The coral makes itself as big as possible, increasing it's surface area, in order to absorb the maximum amount of light.
if it has adjusted to a better lighting system (lfs had reg flourscents, I have PC's).
Corals do take time to fully acclimate to new tanks/lighting. Since you have more light than the LFS, it makes sense it would not open up as fully until it's acclimated to the new lighting. One way to help it acclimate more easily is to cut the length of your photoperiod down a few hours and gradually bring it back up over a week or so.

Less light usually results in "over-expansion" of the tissue. The coral makes itself as big as possible, increasing it's surface area, in order to absorb the maximum amount of light.

That makes perfect sense! Nice ;)

Almost all of my soft corals and even my Brain coral will close up at night, and when the water changes happen, and then open up again in the morning. So far, all is OK.

Back
Top Bottom