do u use Jaubert system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZivioRR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, was just wondering how many of us are using the jaubert system? heard of it many times but dont see it often... does it help if use with the berlin method??

I use a modified version in my 90 gallon... I have a plenum made from screen covered eggcrate matrial, plenty of powerheads for circulation, but no protein skimmer. I run two magnum HOB filters to pull large particulates out of the water column. For left over food clean up, I have shrimp, hermits, and a platoon of nassarius snails.

I just ordered a CPR HOB refugium for my macroalgae and to promote pod population.

So far - everything is good. This is year # 3 with this system with two major crashes - neither due to the system, really. Crash #1 was an anemone death while I was on vacation and crash #2 was minor ( only two fish lost) due to a powerhead meltdown underwater which released toxins into the tank.

In Portland. ME, there is a LFS who runs all of her large show tanks like this and I must say that she has some of the most beautiful tanks I have ever seen. But like everything else, you will get mixed reviews about this method.

I tried it and didn't have good luck. Cyano issues like no tommorow, and ph flux. I don't know, I'd be interested to try it again, but not with a show tank. I understand the premise of the plenum, and there's a LFS in Portland, OR (Funny that) with all their show tanks running skimmerless with a plenum, but they don't show you where all their plumbing goes, if you catch my drift. I tried it with a 38 gallon nano, and I thought the netting used was too fine maybe, because it seemed like no worms went down into the sand, and serpent stars would dig far down enough to get tangled up. Egg crate, on hind sight, would have been better.

Back
Top Bottom