Do you need a sump in a salt tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barbtrave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the difference between a sump and a regular filter such as a cannister? What would you duggest using in a new 75 gallon salt water tank fish and live rock only?

A sump is handy for putting all of your equipment in - heaters, skimmers etc. You can also keep beneficial algaes or corals that don't neccessarily look all that great in the sump (although I think some call that a "refugium").

I have one on my 125, but I won't have one on my 44. Not only does space prohibit it, but I wouldn't have one anyway. The less I have to worry about as far as floods and fires, the better. I assume keep all of the water in one tank and avoid catastrophe.

The canister comes in handy for flow and surface skimming.

Usually for a tank this size, most people would recommend a sump. However, some use canisters and fill them up with reef rubble lr for filtration. Sumps do have advantages though:
More water volume for higher bio loads
A place to hide your equipment, heater, pumps, etc.
You can add lr rubble to the sump for natural filtration (Berlin method).

The cost for a sump is significantly higher than a canister, but it is worth it for a tank your size. You could DIY one, but it will need to be built accordingly to prevent any problems. What I did was buy a 125G wet/dry unit off of Ebay for $160, which came with the tank, pump, overflow, and hoses for connection. I threw out the bioballs, and replaced with reef rubble for filtration.
It all depends on what you want, and what works for you. Everyone here has a method that works for them. I like the sump because you can hide everything under the stand, and it is easier to add things such as calcium rather than directly in the tank. HTH

Also - If you don't already have one, look into getting a good skimmer for your tank. Don't get one though until you decide if you want a sump or not as they make different models (HOB, and in sump).
Mike

Back
Top Bottom