Does anyone else have a STUPID anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdellin

Aquarium Advice Addict
My amenone moved again. He was stationary for like 9 months. He finally found a place he liked and stayed there for a long time. Then he moved and squeezed his little anemone butt into an opening between some rocks that was obviously too small for him. Well, he caused an avalanche! Once again, I've had to rebuild the reef. It's hard to make the rocks stable with water and fish in the tank.

Okay, so I've since figured out that it's been a year now and I had not changed my light bulbs and that's probably why he moved... but that's beside the point!

I got new light bulbs and go figure, the brain and candy cane corals are opening wider now. Lesson learnt!

Gee, am I really still a rookie? Excuse me while I go mark my calendar with a "Change light bulb!" reminder.

Yeah I hear you. Anemonies can be a pain which is why I don't have one. A friend of mine has a close to 700g tank and he bought one or it came on a rock he bought I can't remember but now he has like 8-9 of them. All on one side of the tank. They will sting SPS if the get to close. And by the wat flourencents should be changed every six months.

My little anemone used to wedge himself in the oddest places you could imagine. Lucky no avalanches happened like in your case, but I would have to move around my LR so that I could keep an eye on him. I know he was probly happy where he was, but how can I monitor him whenever he moves behind rocks. Ah well!

As for the rookie statement. It's always the obvious things that you never seem to think of. :p

Anemones are made up of mostly water. Are you sure it was the anemone that caused the rocks to shift? I think I'd look for another cause myself. JMO :)

I have five and one is a very large lta. And even though it plucks a mushroom polyp here and there from the sand bed and tried to eat a zoo colony, I've never had them move rock. ;)

angelscrx said:
A friend of mine has a close to 700g tank and he bought one or it came on a rock he bought I can't remember but now he has like 8-9 of them. All on one side of the tank.

Your friend may have aiptasias, pest anemones. I don't have any of those. Mine is a long-tentacled anemone. I did have a couple pests, but I've been diligent and it paid off, Blessed Be... they were multiplying fast.

Cindy, I think it was him because the rocks were knocked over in the area where he was, but you have one of these LTAs, you may be right. I didn't find anything else I think would have caused it, but I rebuilt the reef so that it's stable. I have to say that he's too big, so maybe when he opened up after the relocation that might have done it. Anyway, I placed and ad to try to find a new home for him, someone with a bigger tank, but no response. This was one of my "I trusted the lfs guy" purchases" when I first got into inverts. They told me he would be fine in my tank, but they didn't tell me he would outgrow it! I know better now. Actually, I could use him as a convincing factor to get my husband to agree to a larger tank!

He was behind the rocks he's on now and there were more rocks and my anchor coral on top of that pile. The space to the right of where he is was open and he was in the sand spread out in that area. I suppose he could have been fighting with the anchors, but I'm not sure. They've gotten along up to now.

Attachments

• p5060038_279.jpg
    p5060038_279.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 71
  • p5060037_136.jpg
    p5060037_136.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 79
I had an anemone for about two weeks. It was probably about as smart as yours, well maybe not. He kept moving around I guess to find a good spot. Well the only spot he found was the PH filter. He got sucked into it and well, like Fluff said, they are mostly water and it just exploded. :( Not cool. So I'll agree that they arent the smartest of animals!

sdellin said:
Your friend may have aiptasias, pest anemones. I don't have any of those. Mine is a long-tentacled anemone. I did have a couple pests, but I've been diligent and it paid off, Blessed Be... they were multiplying fast.

Nope, not aiptasia Red Bubble Tip Anemones. Some the size of a dinner plate!

WOW! I wanted a rose bubble-tip when I first got started and I wanted it to host a maroon clown, but since I have a percula... well, no sense getting it.

ntswift - Mine got wrapped around a powerhead also. I noticed him in time, turned off the powerhead and he eventually "un-squinged" himself. I have since taken the advice of a certain trusty moderater emeritus and wrapped my ph intake strainers with nylon. I also had to move the powerheads topside to keep them out of reach. They are hardier than you would think... well, maybe not once they explode... (sorry for your loss).

LOL... Yeah, had I noticed it I might have had the same luck as you. However, I was on vacation at the time and I had a friend watching my tank. He was at work when it happened though. :( Oh well, maybe I'll get another one when I upgrade my tank. I wanted a rose also but nobody had one for a decent price around here so I had to settle for a green bta. Next time I'll wait for the rose! Hopefully they are smarter too!

Well, I'm embarassed to say "11 months." I have a schedule of daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual tank maintenance, but most of the regular stuff is easy to remember so I just basically forgot to look at the schedule and changing the bulbs at 6-8 months.

I put it on the calendar so I won't forget again.

I have two LTA's.. the purple one has stayed in pretty much the same spot since I put it in.
The green one goes out of it's way to attach to the least likely spots (even hand crafted some niches'caves for it in perfect flow/light spots) and stretch up and around and pretty much look silly.
But, it's healthy looking, colorful and 'eats' (ingests normal levels of meaty stuff and isn't horribly splayed out for light), so...whatever it's lil rubby footed self wants to do is ok with me..

I only have one small bubble tip rose the size of a quarter. He's cool and stays put and is quite pretty. I talked to him the other night and found out he has an Ivy League education. Amazing for a young guy. 8)

I wish I was close to you so I could get that LTA! I'd love to have one in my tank because my clowns keep hosting my zoo's! Thanks for the offer!

Back
Top Bottom