Does live rock really work this quick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
So you may have recalled me posting about a huge spike in my 150g tank with 0 live rock.

I took out my fish- put them at the LFS, and bought 120lbs of live rock from a running tank (hoping to cut down the cycle time).

In less than a day its cut the amonia levals in HALF! Is this normal? I'm thinking of adding another 100lbs to fill the tank in nicely, and maybe some rubble in my sump for added filtration.

How long at this rate before I should add fish? Once amonia level is at 0?

you have to understand.. putting established live rock in a tank.. is like putting 50 filteres of media on the tank lol. the live rock is nothing more than a filter. so yes, with that much cured live rock, its possible your tank will be ready in a couple days.

when your ammonia hits 0, and your nitrItes hit 0 you will be safe to add fish back, make sure with saltwater your also checking your salinity, and your high level ph.

Sweet- I'm going to buy another hundred pounds from this guy. He is selling it to me at $2.50USD a pound!

And yes - I bought a refractometer, and do the PH with a test in the testing kit bought a PH pen off eBay for quick tests, but it won't be here for a bit.

I would be careful on adding to much LR if you want to leave room for Corals to grow. Also make sure that your rock is fully cured and it's not out of the water more than 10 minutes the most. You will still continue to have a cycle until all your reading are at zero especially Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite. IMO...

ScotJ
Where is this place located? I would buy 150lbs of LR @ $2.50 in a heart beat. Cash!

Well its actually $3CDN, which converts to about $2.50USD.

But you can get LR on eBay in the US for CHEAP! Free shipping, I've seen it for $2-3/lb on there ALOT, but I can't order it here in Canada.

And this isn't a store- just a guy that buys complete systems and breaks them down.

I would be careful on adding to much LR if you want to leave room for Corals to grow. Also make sure that your rock is fully cured and it's not out of the water more than 10 minutes the most. You will still continue to have a cycle until all your reading are at zero especially Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite. IMO...

Yea - I'm not filling the tank up completley. I've got a reef/cave built at one end, and I'm going to build a smaller one at the other end, with plent of room in front of the rock for fish to swim and stuff to grow.

So when your Am and N02 readings go to 0 add your fish back slowly, not all at one time even with that much LR.

I had to hose my LR today with a garden hose. There was so much styrofoam stuck in between the rock that I was afraid it would stay there once I was ready to put my fish in.

Back
Top Bottom