Does Saltwater really destroy drywall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen suggestions to put Plexiglas on your drywall behind your SW tank.

Does anyone really do that?

I can see it being more of a problem with an open tank, but mine will have a canopy and an HOB filter so it will be away from the wall a few inches.

When I got my tank, I moved it from a place where it had been for 5 years and the Drywall was destroyed. BUT this person had overflows ALOT! So when I put it in at my house I used Plexi on the wall behind it since I had just finished redoing the entire living room. But I have noticed that I never have salt creep or water spots on the plexi so it doesnt appear to be getting wet. just my experience

Ohh thats a new one for me ... I get splashes when changing H20 and such but a quick wipe down with a damp cloth and some pine sol I have never had an issue (6 years or so now ) ... there are runs but that is it ... If I splash a big ammount and it does happen wipe dry with a towel and then with damp cloth , use fans to circulate the air and completely dry ... only takes a few minutes to do ... as stated above watch for mold and mildew as these can be very dangerous ... so quick and prompt clean ups are necessary ... I try (even in the winter ) to open all windows weekly for atleast 5 minutes a day even if there is snow and -50* out ... (this also helps with colds and flues :p ) The worst I could imagine is needing to move the tank and sand prime and paint but that is if you dont follow a few precautions ....

Back
Top Bottom